The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have created a thread on this before, but I have a little more information to provide this time and a better idea of what I am looking for.

So, I am looking to put on weight and maintain it with a 10 year old quarter horse gelding I bought 5 months ago.

He has gained weight since I got him, but coming into winter now he is starting to drop weight a little, though I have not decreased his feed. He has access to 4 acres of pasture 24/7, but the grass levels have dropped substantially in the cold weather. He also has access to a hay bale all the time as well, to compensate for the loss of roughage.

He had his teeth floated 3 months ago, and though his teeth needed doing they weren't bad per se. He is up to date with worming treatment, and his most recent fecal float (about two weeks ago) showed no parasites or larvae. He has a healthy appetite and shows no signs of ulcers, as determined by a vet. He is also not being ridden, to allow for weight gain.

However, I would like to start riding him, and I also worry about the inevitable weight loss that occurs with all my horses during winter. Usually I would just increase what I am currently feeding, but I believe he is getting as much as he should of what I currently have him on.

I currently feed him Mitavite Gumnuts and Maxisoy, broken into two feeds a day. I am unable to incorporate more than two feeds into my daily schedule, except on weekends. I live in a rural area of Australia, so not a lot of options as far as bagged feed goes, so I am considering something along the lines of oils? I have read some similar threads on here regarding weight gain but became confused with a lot of differing opinions. I am also looking for something that I won't have to balance out with other supplements if possible.

Copra was previously recommended, which I trialed, but is unfortunately not an option for this particular horse.

Recommendations, what has worked for you before, and how much you fed of that particular product would be appreciated. I understand brands will differ with countries, but just a product in general that I can source would be great.

Just an image for reference of his current weight:

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
IMO, he is dealing more with muscle loss, than fat loss:)

Has he been tested for Cushings or other diseases in your country that may cause muscle waste?

How his energy level?

I am also curious if his movement is fluid, it could be the way he is standing but his sacrum area and the way he holds his tail reminds me of the look of my horse that has a fractured sacrum.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply! He hadn't been ridden for 18 months when I bought him, so muscle loss is definitely possible. I haven't tested for Cushings, what would be the symptoms of that?

His energy levels are good, he is happy to run around the paddock with me and he loves to play with his toys. I have ridden him, just not frequently and only on a trail to touch base with him time to time. He loves to open up in the canter and enjoys long stretches of trot (go figure).

He doesn't always stand like that, but I can't say a fractured sacrum is out of the question. Would he be showing signs of pain?

·
Banned
Spirit is a beautiful brown and gold POA/Quarter horse mix. #Dressage #Jumping #Spirit
18 Posts
Here are some symptoms:
  • Failure or later shedding of the winter coat that may become really long, matted and curly especially around the legs.
  • Excessive sweating.
  • Increased drinking and urination.
  • Lethargy and poor performance.
  • A pot-bellied appearance.
  • Loss of muscle and topline.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Muscle loss can be one sign of Cushings but henhas Plenty of energy and his energy sounds to be consistent— meaning he doesn’t start out at a normal level for him, the. all of a sudden seems to hit a brick wall and loses his energy.

My horse has a twice fractured sacrum and also lives with residual damage from previous founder. He is able to buck up once in awhile:)

He sees an equine vet/chiropractor monthly to keep him in place.

Do you have certified equine chiropractor in your area? You have gone above and beyond to make sure he is health, if you could find a chiropractor to assess him, it would be one more thing to check off:)

The horse I mention above is also IR/Cushing. The Cushings has caused some muscle waste and he is now a bit of a hard keeper.

I buy my supplements from HorseTech, in the U.S. They will Do custom products when their general products don’t work.

They sold me an amped up version of their condensed Vit/min supplement for. Grass fed horses. It has an increased amount of the three amino acids horses need to maintain muscle and some added fat calories. It has helped immensely.

He has been on the new product since last October, when we were going into winter in the U.S. his hip bones were starting to show, even through his winter coat.

This is the horse, 25 at the time, in September, 2020 before he started the supplement on steroids, lol. You can see the arthritis over his sacrum but that is also a fluid buildup; another reason he sees the chiro monthly.

The resemblance is there, between their back quarters. It doesn’t mean there's anything wrong with your horse but I do think yours merits further examination to eliminate any issues:)

3E847E86-D4E1-4212-BB47-CFCB3624EE77.jpeg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a chiropractor nearby, but I can ask around and see if anyone is willing to travel. He does get regular PEMF therapy though, which he loves.

Is the product you mentioned oil or powder? How often do you give it?

·
Banned
Spirit is a beautiful brown and gold POA/Quarter horse mix. #Dressage #Jumping #Spirit
18 Posts
Why is my horse losing weight? Here is a pic.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
I don't have a chiropractor nearby, but I can ask around and see if anyone is willing to travel. He does get regular PEMF therapy though, which he loves.

Is the product you mentioned oil or powder? How often do you give it?
1. PEMF is great! Does the therapist include his sacrum? If so, there’s a reason. I have been using red light therapy for 16 years on horses, dogs, and myself. I use the therapy pad when the morning temps are cooler; my horse won’t tolerate that heat when the temps are high.

What he does like is for me to shower his rump down in the morning sun. The water and sun’s heat act like a sauna to him and he loves that.

2. The supplement is in meal form and is a custom product from HorseTech. I feed the recommended amount of four “scant scoops” daily, which I divide into two feedings and mix it with one measuring cup of Timothy pellets. It’s a complete vit/min supplement with an increased amount of amino acids and fat calories.

“Four scant scoops (the scoop comes with the product) equals almost 12 ounces and a 25# tub lasts 60-64 days for one horse. I can’t remember how much it costs but, based on their standard mix that I feed the other horse I think about 86 cents/day, maybe a little less.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Hay quality , what type of hay ? Was the hay tested? If you are feeding grass hay on a pasture (type of grass, irrigated, fertilized ? ) then maybe the horse could use some alfalfa pellets or cubes ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts