The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently got given a Standardbred gelding--or for a better way of saying things I 'rescued' a Standardbred gelding.

He is quite underweight, not ridiculously emaciated or anything. Healthy otherwise besides the weight loss. I did a search on his brand and he is an unknown but he's sired by Artiscape and six years old. I've only ever had TBs so I wouldn't know how to go about STBs weight gain.

He has been unrugged for over six months with the weather going off from summer straight into colder weather as the town I live is mostly cold weather. It's like England in Australia. No hard feed whatsoever and there would of been a low level of feed and apparently he was already thin when he was taken in. I've only had him for just under a week. He's now being rugged and it's a good thing, I don't know how he would of been holding up with our nights balancing between 1 - 10 degrees without one.

His current feed:
2 Scoops of wheaten chaff
1 Cup of Speedibeet

I will be adding more to his feed next week when I get to one of the local stock feeds. I plan on adding pony pellets to the mix and anything else that'll help pack the pounds back on. Any suggestions?

I can get better pictures tomorrow.
View attachment 471674

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would put him on triple crown senior. You can give him up to 9 lbs of it a day. and mix in some weight builder. People seem to have mixed feelings about weight builder but my mare was on weight builder and 6 lbs of tc senior, just 2 weeks and the difference is amazing
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
224 Posts
Feed up to 3 pints of soaked sugar beet pulp - and/or soaked alfalfa pellets per meal.

Add 100 ml of plain vegetable oil to it.

The high fiber, high fat diet is safer than throwing on the molasses feeds. Molasses feeds can cause founder and colic - wheras the high fiber high fat will not. They will also not make the horse act 'hot' - since digestion is slow and steady.

I use human grade vegetable oil from the grocery store. It's cheaper. I just keep it in the pantry and carry a cup of it to the barn.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
I use corn oil or canola oil over plain veggie oil, but any will work, and some people just have strokes over corn oil, but in one of the Horse magazines, it states new test show it is not that bad. Beet pulp 6 dry cuarts (my cue key is broken) soaked ,once a day, my feed scoop is not in pounds. and sr feed a scoop a day , the 3 cuart. after beet pulp is soaked its a tad over ten lbs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Weight builders are usually partially hydrogenated vegetable oil mixed with rice bran. They list 40% fat. Cost $20-30 per month per horse. I keep some on hand for endurance races. It's good if you can't keep the oil stored between 50-80°F.

Regular vegetable oil is 100% fat, you can use less of it. Runs $6-10 per month per horse. I use this daily.

Using the sugar beat pulp + vegetable oil - I just put 200 lbs on a thin Walker (body score of 3.5) in three months - while I was also working her 4-8 hours per week. My veterinarian neighbor now calls her a body score of 5.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sounds like the feeds you have available will do the job. My recommendation would be just to increase the amounts in line with previous poster's suggestions and to feed as many small meals throughout the day as possible along with free choice access to quality forage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update on things: Tony is getting better, putting on weight he will be getting his teeth checked as soon as possible. Did come down with a bout of colic the other day. It was just gas colic from over eating. Poor thing gorged himself on hay during the day and made himself sick. It was my misjudgment though of thinking he could handle it. Even though he was separated in a different paddock during the night.

His feed regime:

Morning
2 Scoops chaff
1 Scoop Pony Cubes
1 Cup Speedibeet

Afternoon
2 Scoops chaff
1 Scoop Gumnuts
1 Cup Speedibeet

Do plan on possibly adding half a cup to a cup of vegetable oil.

Also gets hay, meadow hay to be specific.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Update on things: Tony is getting better, putting on weight he will be getting his teeth checked as soon as possible. Did come down with a bout of colic the other day. It was just gas colic from over eating. Poor thing gorged himself on hay during the day and made himself sick. It was my misjudgment though of thinking he could handle it. Even though he was separated in a different paddock during the night.

His feed regime:

Morning
2 Scoops chaff
1 Scoop Pony Cubes
1 Cup Speedibeet

Afternoon
2 Scoops chaff
1 Scoop Gumnuts
1 Cup Speedibeet

He looks like he's already put on some weight. :)

We're obviously in different countries, but I always like to know what certain feeds are, could you tell me about the Pony cubes, Gumnuts, and what kind of chaff you use? (I'm a nerd and love all kinds of info.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He looks like he's already put on some weight. :)

We're obviously in different countries, but I always like to know what certain feeds are, could you tell me about the Pony cubes, Gumnuts, and what kind of chaff you use? (I'm a nerd and love all kinds of info.)
Pony cubes are a form of pellet really, they come in a small bag and are filled with many vitamins and minerals and all the essentials and a high fat count as I think it's like close to being like a senior food.

Wheaten chaff. First time I've used it, normally used to using oaten which I think that's the chaff my sister's horse is using. Two different Stock Feeds, one stocks both one doesn't.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Ah, thank you. I'm always curious to know what stuff is, LOL.

Yup, the pony cubes sound like a senior feed.

It's very hard to get anything wheat or oat where I'm at unless you buy whole oats or wheat flour. I do like the sound of chaff though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, thank you. I'm always curious to know what stuff is, LOL.

Yup, the pony cubes sound like a senior feed.

It's very hard to get anything wheat or oat where I'm at unless you buy whole oats or wheat flour. I do like the sound of chaff though.
There is Lucerne chaff? Which I think is another word for alfalfa... I don't know!

I forgot to tell you what the gumnuts are, truth is I don't really know everyone kept suggesting it as it helps with weight gain as well helps treat ulcers if they have them. It seems to be working but they look a hell of a lot like dog biscuits and smell a tad like them too! Cost a heap as well, hence the reason why I'm alternating between pony cubes and gumnuts rather then giving him gumnuts twice a day, it's cheaper to buy pony cubes as they're only $17.50 whereas gumnuts are $32.50 and the bags are the same size which are itty bitty especially compared to the massive bags that you get with Xtra Cool and chaff.

I see fat horses and I want to cry, because it makes me notice how emaciated he is and was allowed to become.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Getting his teeth floated will help a lot. is there any green grass he can graze ? that should help also. Are alfalfa pellets or grass hay pellets available in your area ? you could get those soaked or wet down for him . On my aged TB i also give alfalfa and molasses crumbles.
about 3 lbs per feeding ( 3 x a day) along with his sr feed . You may also want to give that horse some bran mash, and some psyllium. has he been dewormed in the last year ? if not I would give him some ivermectin. I just use wheat bran . and if you cannot find psyllium at the feed store, any generic psyllium at your local drug store will help. give an adult dose, I sprinkle it on the alflafa molasses sr feed mash, and make sure i have it mixed well , make sure you have the mash really wet but not soupy. I use the orange flavor, the horses prefer it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Getting his teeth floated will help a lot. is there any green grass he can graze ? that should help also. Are alfalfa pellets or grass hay pellets available in your area ? you could get those soaked or wet down for him . On my aged TB i also give alfalfa and molasses crumbles.
about 3 lbs per feeding ( 3 x a day) along with his sr feed . You may also want to give that horse some bran mash, and some psyllium. has he been dewormed in the last year ? if not I would give him some ivermectin. I just use wheat bran . and if you cannot find psyllium at the feed store, any generic psyllium at your local drug store will help. give an adult dose, I sprinkle it on the alflafa molasses sr feed mash, and make sure i have it mixed well , make sure you have the mash really wet but not soupy. I use the orange flavor, the horses prefer it.
He was wormed over a month ago and I will be doing so again very soon. He will be getting his teeth floated once I get the time to book it as I'm thinking that's quarter of his issue.

And he has an entire acre of grass to graze, which he's standing in the area I tie the horses up in the pictures and it's lacking grass growth but it's only a tiny paddock which is open to the large one almost constantly anyway. He has access to hay and grass 24/7 he is rugged every night as it's the winter months and we have been getting below 10 degree nights now. Also considering bringing him onto three feedings a day.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
There is Lucerne chaff? Which I think is another word for alfalfa... I don't know!

I forgot to tell you what the gumnuts are, truth is I don't really know everyone kept suggesting it as it helps with weight gain as well helps treat ulcers if they have them. It seems to be working but they look a hell of a lot like dog biscuits and smell a tad like them too! Cost a heap as well, hence the reason why I'm alternating between pony cubes and gumnuts rather then giving him gumnuts twice a day, it's cheaper to buy pony cubes as they're only $17.50 whereas gumnuts are $32.50 and the bags are the same size which are itty bitty especially compared to the massive bags that you get with Xtra Cool and chaff.

I see fat horses and I want to cry, because it makes me notice how emaciated he is and was allowed to become.
He does look thinner from behind, that's for sure.

Ah, yeah Lucerne/ alfalfa, same thing.

Wow, not sure I'd know what to do if I opened a bag of feed and thought it was dog food, LOL. That is a bit expensive. But so long as it helps with the ulcers and such. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Considering replacing the Gumnuts with StudPro or Munga. All made by the same people which is Mitavite. Munga and Gumnuts are pretty similar only Gumnuts are a senior feed.

I have a picture I took by accident yesterday because I was holding my phone and walking him and trying to stop him from following me so I could get a better picture. Which didn't end well but it shows his hip bones and his ribs a little better.

·
Banned
795 Posts

His feed regime:
Morning
2 Scoops chaff
1 Scoop Pony Cubes
1 Cup Speedibeet

Afternoon
2 Scoops chaff
1 Scoop Gumnuts
1 Cup Speedibeet

Looking pretty good, putting on weight
Time - Rest & TLC can do wonders.

The colic can be the ulcers (a guess but very suspect) very common with horses comming off the track and show horses, the stress of travle and competition.
Amigo (the pic) came down with the colic when I first got him, that was on a Sunday after an easy hour ride checking on the cows.

Plenty of fiber.
Remember, vitimins are a Fresh Substans, vitimins in process feeds are not what the manufacture claims when you get it. Vitimins are what you get in your basic feed of Hay, Whole Grain and vitimin supplements that you add.

Nice to see a horse come to a good home, :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Unfortunately where he is currently is not working out, so I am moving him to a stable and agisting him there. Where he will have plenty of grass to graze and many friends and my sister's horse to be buddied with.

He has more energy lately, I've been told that he has been cantering around the paddock and playing and has been trotting to his feed bucket. I have been taking him for walks behind his paddock on public land and letting him eat all the grass he wish too. Which he loves, doesn't bother with hay only wants grass and whats in his food bucket.

His feed is:
2 Scoops chaff
1 Scoop Pony cubes
1/2 of Vegetable oil
2x a day

Plan on adding something else to it as I know his belly is big enough to handle some more feed, so I plan on adding a feed such as rice bran or Xtra Cool to his mix and give him that extra bit of calories as well as slowly increasing the vegetable oil. Will be worming him before his move as I am very unhappy with the lady who's land he is currently on her dogs have worms and so they have given them to my horse! Very, very unhappy about that. Last thing he needs.

Here is some random picture I took of him today.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.