The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mare dose not coat out in the winter so when the temp low or bad weather threatens she gets a blanket. I'm in the market for a new one but I'm not really sure what weight she will need. It rarely gets below -15F useally stays between 25-0f. She is on full time turn out and I had a light weight canvas on her last year and it worked well but looking for something a bit more durable. Also any suggestions on brands?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
for -temps to 25/30 degrees, I used a heavyweight. 300-380 gram fill. I live in Michigan, we have ice/sleet/snow/windy/cold temps.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
It's a toss up if the 1200 cordura is any tougher than the canvas. With your temps I'd get maybe 200 grams of fill, which is considered medium. If she gets too warm, she'll roll and rub against whatever works and shred the blanket. Light fill and waterproof.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We sell a lot of Shire's medium and heavy weights. Anything that is cordura nylon or ballistics nylon will way outlast canvas. Medium weights for temps in the freezing mark but heavyweight for colder temps on a horse without much of a coat. The Shire's Typhoon 330 Gm turnout is out best seller.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.