The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my mare got a odd line I the top of her hoof almost at the hairline. It looks like a bruise? It's rougher then the rest of her hoof but isn't warm or cause her any lameness at all any ideas on what it could be? I have the farrier coming out Thursday and I'll see what he thinks...just curious on your opinions as well
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did she have a change in diet or living conditions recently? Horses hooves can tell you a lot about how theyre taken care of.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Without a pic at least, can't tell you. But I'd guess either a systemic/metabolic stress, such as a minor laminitic 'event' or mechanical stress, putting too much pressure on the coronary border.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is a photo of it. she's had no lameness at all and its only on this foot. WE just cut back on how much Feed she is getting . she went from one scoop of Purina Strategy AM/PM to half a scoop AM/PM. I did move her to a new barn a month a go and the hay quality and general care is way better here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Judging by a picture that may have camera distortion, I agree with Loosie. Or an injury at the coronary band .

The other thing I think I see is that if this is a left hoof, the camera makes it look like there's pink above a flare which may be caused by the flare causing some capillary leaking at the point of laminar stretching or stress. Anyone else see that?

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Looks like she's just bashed her coronary area a short time ago & the damage is growing out. Looks like her hooves are in need of some TLC & overdue for the farrier too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the farrier coming out Thursday. I am aware that she is due for a trim. I had a hell of a time finding someone who would come out to our new barn and my old farrier was leaving her toes too long since I just had her trimmed in the middle of December and shes already long, needed to find someone new.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so the verdict from the farrier is that she bruised her foot doing something and it abscessed which would explain why she didn't go lame at all. as long as its not bothering her he said it will grow out and we may have to shoe her as it gets farther down the hoof to keep it from chipping.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
now that shes trimmed she's come up lame in that same foot...its grown out about a 1/2 in since the picture I posted and had no problems with it while the toe was long before her trim. vets coming out on monday and I'm going to have him look at her. could the trim have made it worse? even if it has blown out already?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If it got sore immediately after the trim (within a day or less) then it could have been trimmed too short . Pictures of the bottom of the foot may help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was right after her trim she came up lame. her did take alot off of her but stated she needed it so I let him...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.