The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went out to check on the horses and one of them had this rather hard bleeding pimple looking thing on his nose. I washed it out and nice big chunks of puss or something like it came out. It's pretty sensitive but he's still eating and drinking. Sent photos to my vet also. Does it look like an abscess or a wart or something like that? Wondering if I put something on it like a warm compress or Epsom salt or leave it alone and let it drain since it seems to be doing that? Hopefully my vet will get back to me soon, but anyone see anything like this before?
PXL_20210506_175333081.jpg

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like an abscess from something stuck in there. Clean it out and use an antibiotic on it would be my advice.
Just like something antibacterial - I have some vetericyn antimicrobial stuff but other than I've never really put topical antibiotics on except for ones from the vet is there something I could pick up that could help? If something is stuck in there should I have the vet come out and cut it open? I just heard back from him and he said to just watch it for a few days. I'm thinking of doing warm Epsom salt rags on it.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Yep, my mare had something just like that in almost exactly the same spot last year. Vet coincidentally was out here for a planned appointment sp could take a look, and suspected tick bite in a sensitive spot. I kept it rinsed and just used regular neosporin on it for a few days. It went away as quickly as it popped up. I always find a combo of spraying vetericyn + applying neosporin resolves almost all every day cuts, scratches, or bites. If you find it isn't healing in a few days, then there might be a thorn or piece of a stick embedded and you'd probably want a vet to deal with getting it out so healing can happen.

·
Super Moderator
12,661 Posts
This^^^ if you suspect something is still in there you can try drawing salve as well.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,080 Posts
How is it doing now? One of the horses at my barn had one a couple of years ago, almost identical. Looked ugly, then popped and drained, and cleared on its own in a couple of days. I think we just washed it and put polysporin on it, and kept an eye on it. Cleared up completely without leaving a mark. If it seems like it doesn't want to heal, though, then could be time to ask the vet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is it doing now? One of the horses at my barn had one a couple of years ago, almost identical. Looked ugly, then popped and drained, and cleared on its own in a couple of days. I think we just washed it and put polysporin on it, and kept an eye on it. Cleared up completely without leaving a mark. If it seems like it doesn't want to heal, though, then could be time to ask the vet.
It's pretty much cleared up now! Washed it out for a couple days and kept reapplying antibacterial cream around it and it cleared up almost 24 hrs later. Today is looks even better so I have a feeling it will be 100% healed by tomorrow or sometime this week. Happy it ended up being something pretty easy for once!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts