The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I don't know if this is just me, but I am hearing weird sounds coming from *some of the geldings I have worked with. (*Some as in only the younger ones between the ages of 1-4. I didn't hear the sounds form older geldings, but I don't know if age had anything to do with it.) I hear these sounds when they are trotting and/ or cantering. It sounds like it might be coming from their bellies or somewhere in that area, not from their mouths. I have no clue how to describe the noise besides the fact that it is not high pitched, it has a rythm, and it kind of but not really sounds like a croaking frog. I have never heard this noise from a mare, and I have never been around a stallion, so I don't know if this is a male horse thing or not.

·
Super Moderator
23,669 Posts
I would guess you're talking of normal gut sounds, but you say it's when they're trotting or cantering past only? I've owned, ridden, trained many geldings over many years & never personally heard a noise - or heard anyone off the forum mention - of air trapped in the sheath. Not that that rules it out of course, I just wonder how common it is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sometimes the way the saddle rubs on their wither can make a similar noise, nothing to worry about as long as the horse still seems comfortable and the saddle fits well otherwise.

Could explain why it occurs with some horses and not others due to different shaped withers.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I know what you are talking about - it is air in the sheath. I personally find it very irritating but I have a touch of misophonia and that particular sound brings it out. I avoid riding horses that make that sound. Also sound of human chewing. Strangely, I love hearing horses chew.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,001 Posts
Yep, air in the sheath. People used to say that it meant the sheath needed cleaning, but there was actually a study done on that and it is completely unrelated to cleanliness. Some geldings' sheaths make the sound some of the time, some all of the time, some none of the time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Totally sounds like he has air in his sheath! My 18 y/o gelding “makes” this noise when I’m lunging without a saddle all the time. It’s like a “wok wok wok” low-pitched rhythmical sound. My understanding is that it has something to do with how the abdominal muscles contract and it causes air to be sucked into the sheath, but I doubt any scientific research has been put into it.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, so I was just cruising around You-tube entertaining myself and I found a video with the "gelding noise." And it's not even a video about the gelding noise, ha ha! Hope it's okay to post it here, gelding noise at 1:55. :p

😂 I love her channel! And yes, when that horse was trotting, that was the noise!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our mentor's gelding does this too but his sound more like little whoopee cushion sounds - pretty funny when he starts trotting across the pasture!

·
Registered
883 Posts
My Arabian stallion made this noise. It was like a deep ook ook noise when he trotted. He did this ridden or not. I thought it was a sound made by air in the gut.

Actually I prefer mares.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have read that the noise(peen queefs, lol) happens when tense or in similar situations.
With my two personal geldings, this has been true.
But, I did hear it once with my older gelding when he was calm. So, maybe sometimes it's the peen literally moving partly in and out when the peen is semi relaxed. 🤔

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow......all these years of riding and I never really understood why you hear that around geldings sometimes. I figured it was anatomy related but air in the sheath......learn something new everyday lol

·
Registered
679 Posts
My sense is it's related to tension. My old TB usually did some at the beginning of trot work. The tension seems around the abdominals...usually if I stopped him and just sat for a moment or two, he would let out a big sigh or a breath. Though he didn't hold his breath like my friend's gelding. He also wasn't one to snort out tension like some horses.
Arrow also held a lot of tension in trot - his was due to anxiety and a less than perfect saddle and I think chronic back issues, so he was an 'oinker'.
Maverick never 'oinked'....but he held his tension in other ways, he internalized it. And those...ulcers!
Boo doesn't 'oink' either but snorts his tension out. Plus he is pretty chill guy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts