The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!
We’ve got an unknown swelling under jaw…

He got vaccinated on Sunday (at the start of July), then day off (only paddock) and when I arrived at Tuesday I saw bold patches of skin like it was rubbed by the noseband and wired swelling. I called the vet and she told to wait for 2 days. After 2 days nothing changes (except rubbed places, they started to heal fast). There were extremely hot (+34-36 for 2 weeks with no rain), so she thought it might be heart issue and told to get him 3-day injections of Sulfocamphocaine (heart support). Again after injections no change. The swelling stays at the place. I could palpate it - it’s just soft like muscle not like bag with water.
No feed, no regime changes before or after. No other signs so I’m puzzled.

I will ask for another vet but may be someone already saw the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oddly enough, I have that same swelling going on with one of my geldings in two different places between his jaws. Have an appointment with the vet today to see what’s going on. I’ll update when I get back in case it can help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oddly enough, I have that same swelling going on with one of my geldings in two different places between his jaws. Have an appointment with the vet today to see what’s going on. I’ll update when I get back in case it can help you.

Please tell what your vet will say about that 🙏🏻, I managed an appointment with another vet only for the next week

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Are you able to get a slightly zoomed out picture? It is a bit hard for me but I'll say the times I've seen something similar was 1. my mares allergic reaction to a wormer and 2. a horse with strangles. Grass glands also made me panic once but the rain and sun made sense then but wasn't the same. When the field is overgrazed and my mare (out 24/7) has to put in more work for less grass she also can sometimes be a bit puffier, too, but again not really same area.

What vaccines did he receive?
How old is your gelding?
When was his teeth last done? (infected tooth/infection coming out the "wrong" way?)
Why did the vet suspect heart problems? (previous investigations/history)
What's his usual feeding routine/turnout look like?
Does he have access to a salt lick or other means of getting minerals/vits/electrolytes esp if been sweating a lot? (just wondering about the hear thing still...)
Have any horses travelled recently or been in contact with those outside the normal herd, even people?

Sorry for so many questions its just a bit hard to say with little info. I googled a picture of lymph nodes so you can figure out if that's where you mean.. good idea to google more pictures and info on swollen lymph nodes and possible explanations. Fingers crossed you get some answers soon and goes without saying getting professional input from vets is always best and to not be afraid of shopping for more opinions.

lymph-nodes.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear Kalraii,

Sorry, totally forgot to mention:
1) it was vaccine against EHV, however he always had some difficulties with vaccines (the last time it was in NY when he got vaccinated against anthrax - it’s always toughest vaccine in whole year - and he got big lower left
leg swelling after that gone in several days of walking- no heat, no pain)
2) 11 yo
3) teeth done 1 year ago, I’m planning to get visit in august because I don’t see any problems with feeding him
4) no heart problems at all, never
5) he isn’t eating grain 2 months already - he is on hay ad lib, alfalfa pellets + beet pulp + alfalfa chaff (all mix is 4 kg divided by 3 feedings) + E/selenium/aminos + flax + probiotics
6) he isn’t getting enough grass (that is why l’m supplementing E and get his turnout in the morning before heat. He is alone in his paddock with friends in others
7) he has his salt with minerals and he eats it quite fast (but it’s usual for him)
8) horses in my stable are travelling sometimes to close areas for competitions but mine not since June.

I already dig all web for the answers but didn’t understand anything ((( there were a lot of docs for vets and for me isn’t like reading in Chinese

·
Registered
143 Posts
@Trousseau_ideal: According to vet, the lumps on my horse were swollen lymph nodes and at this time nothing to be concerned about. Said it could almost anything irritating them, but probably something he had eaten and is allergic to as my horses are on 10 acres of open pasture. He did say in some cases something like that could be strangles, but he’s been vaccinated for that and
hasn’t travelled anywhere he would have been exposed to it.

This is just what my vet said regarding my own horse, and shouldn’t substitute for your own vet checking out your horse

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
It could be 1) strangles 2) swollen lymph from an allergy 3) damages salivary glands. Has the Vet done a needle biopsy ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
My horse I think had something similar to that and then a few days later it popped.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Updates: Third :)LOL:) vet came out, investigated and said that yes - it's allergy on vaccines and recommended echinacea syrup for immune system help. However she got our blood to see what's going on inside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts