The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years, I have been given advice and heard arguments relating to horses that just plain didn’t make sense and were downright weird. So here’s a thread where we can talk about weird advice we have been given! I’ll start.

1- “Horses need bits.” ...most are started without one but ok.
2- “You have to use a bit because it says so in the Bible!” ... (YES this is a real argument I heard!!)
3- “Put cow dewormer in the ears for ear mites.”

Reactions: BethR and gottatrot

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I had an ex boyfriend who was a real dummy about horses and wouldn't listen to anyone.

He tried to tell me that we should worm our horses by shooting pour-on cattle ivomec into their mouths. He thought it was the same as liquid ivermectin you can buy for deworming horses.

He also told me that because I was a girl I was obviously less able to be good at roping and that is why my advice was garbage and he didn't need to listen.

Yeah, that relationship didn't work out 😬😬

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
I think she is referring to James where there is a verse about putting bits in the mouths of horses where by the body is controlled. I'd have to go back because that is pulling it out of context and I don't remember off hand the topic of discussion for that chapter.

·
Super Moderator
10,029 Posts
I always wondering why some think an OTTB needs down time. I find them to be incredibly tolerant of new situations and items. They've seen so much and have usually been exposed to many different methods.

I get on and ride them. Usually the day they arrive. They have some "would you look at that" moments, but nothing more.

I especially like to ride them around the quarantine pasture before turnout.

I can't be the only one.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I'll give you an old one and a new one. When I was a kid in 4-H, my horse would stop in front of a jump at times, sending me into the jump. I thought the "throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow" was the way to go . . . but my horse knew that wasn't the case. My assistant 4-H leader told me to take my horse behind the barn and give him a good beating. I may have been 14 years old at the time, but I knew that was bunk.

Last weekend, I was camping with friends and a stranger asked if she could trail ride with our group. She told us that TN Walkers are never asked to canter and should not be asked to canter. I said, "That's odd, I used to help my cousin at her TN Walker horseshows, and every class called for a canter."

·
Banned
67 Posts
Over the years, I have been given advice and heard arguments relating to horses that just plain didn’t make sense and were downright weird. So here’s a thread where we can talk about weird advice we have been given! I’ll start.

1- “Horses need bits.” ...most are started without one but ok.
2- “You have to use a bit because it says so in the Bible!” ... (YES this is a real argument I heard!!)
3- “Put cow dewormer in the ears for ear mites.”
Seriously, did you ask the person where in the Bible? I would love to read it if it says so ( I am positive it doesn’t!)

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
The quote from the Bible is from James, as @QtrBel said. I will quote from James, Chapter 3, Contemporary English Version: "All of us do many wrong things. But if you can control your tongue, you are mature and able to control your whole body. By putting a bit into the mouth of a horse, we can turn the horse in different directions. It takes strong winds to move a large sailing ship, but the captain uses only a small rudder to make it go in any direction. Our tongues are small too, and yet they brag about big things."

And here is the King James Version, "If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth of great things."

James is just warning people that they can do a lot of harm with the small tongue, which can control a lot of situations. The horse and bit part is just an analogy, likewise the ship and rudder.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
Seriously, did you ask the person where in the Bible? I would love to read it if it says so ( I am positive it doesn’t!)
As I couldnt remember the context I looked it up. This link gives the explanation I'd heard in school.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The quote from the Bible is from James, as @QtrBel said. I will quote from James, Chapter 3, Contemporary English Version: "All of us do many wrong things. But if you can control your tongue, you are mature and able to control your whole body. By putting a bit into the mouth of a horse, we can turn the horse in different directions. It takes strong winds to move a large sailing ship, but the captain uses only a small rudder to make it go in any direction. Our tongues are small too, and yet they brag about big things."

And here is the King James Version, "If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth of great things."

James is just warning people that they can do a lot of harm with the small tongue, which can control a lot of situations. The horse and bit part is just an analogy, likewise the ship and rudder.
Yes EXACTLY Knightrider! The Bible is full of parables; some people take the “Good Book “ waaaay too literally 😐

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
He tried to tell me that we should worm our horses by shooting pour-on cattle ivomec into their mouths. He thought it was the same as liquid ivermectin you can buy for deworming horses.
You can use pour on like cows but not in their mouth.
The liquid injectable Ivermec for cattle you can use as a horse drench.
I understand your frustration, Goodness sake!

Ivermec is good for mites and ticks.
I've had horses that been turned out in the brush for months come in covered in ticks, deform with Ivermec, a lot will shed off, minimal hand picking.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
You can use pour on like cows but not in their mouth.
The liquid injectable Ivermec for cattle you can use as a horse drench.
I understand your frustration, Goodness sake!

Ivermec is good for mites and ticks.
I've had horses that been turned out in the brush for months come in covered in ticks, deform with Ivermec, a lot will shed off, minimal hand picking.
His biggest thing was that we could just take some pour on from my folks or ranchers he knew in the area and we wouldn't have to spend $16 on a tube of wormer. 🙃

I was like "you mean just plain ivermectin in a bottle?" And he's like "No the big jugs of blue stuff. my grandpa's a vet so I know more than you"

One of thoooose types.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I always wondering why some think an OTTB needs down time. I find them to be incredibly tolerant of new situations and items. They've seen so much and have usually been exposed to many different methods.

I get on and ride them. Usually the day they arrive. They have some "would you look at that" moments, but nothing more.

I especially like to ride them around the quarantine pasture before turnout.

I can't be the only one.
I agree. People will say it's because of their fitness or muscles...? I'm thinking maybe people believe they won't be able to handle them if they're fit. Sure, if they have ulcers they'll need time to get over those. But the idea of letting them down because of muscles...that's a bizarre thought to me. A horse that is fit is a good thing to me, and I'd rather not lose it. It's not like you have to let down an endurance horse periodically because they're fit, otherwise you won't be able to ride them. I haven't found that the track makes them anxious or being fit makes them edgy, but rather their handling may have tolerated some behaviors like nipping and forging, and those things need some retraining rather than pasture time. Plus the track has taught them how to travel to new places, and desensitized them to many things like dogs, heavy machinery, various barns and all kinds of equipment.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
A a
man I knew years ago, he had some really good horses and did show them but we were talking one day and I mentioned something about impulsion and he said that a horse needs a good strong front end as he pulls himself along front the front.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
That raised forehead on a horse we call it a stubborn bump and I don't think they are baulkers but they do question things more. Maybe that extra space equals extra brains but I have found horses with it can be more apt to question your authority but when you have the matter settled they are good with it and can be some of the best riding horses,
At times I have had two or three youngsters to work with and the one with that bump was the one to challenge you and took a little more work but they were very good horses and never were inclined to baulk at things when out riding.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Can someone post a picture of a "stubborn bump"?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
On Arabs it is called a jibbah and considered a positive trait. It is thought to give more room for the sinuses/cooling and breathing in the desert climate. I would imagine it would do the same for other breeds.

I can't get a photo to link right now, but if you google Arab horse jibbah you can see examples.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts