The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a 31yo looking for a part to full time job as an assistant horse trainer, I have no documented skills but I have natural talent for connecting with horses! I am also a certified welder and handy with tools, grooming and mucking! I live around SW Missouri and I’d like to keep that way unless there’s a bunk open in Texas! Thanks for your time, hope to hear from you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You really need to just find someone who you can intern with, starting with your welding or helping skills.
If, as you say, you have "no documented skills", that's is going to be tough.

I guess I was lucky - people started noticing me in the show ring (I was 10) winning, and they would ask questions on how I got my horse to do something.

50 years later, I charge for training, but love to help newbies out.

·
Super Moderator
12,656 Posts
With no documented skills you would be best focused on your welding and find someplace to and someone to mentor under in your off time with the horses so you can develop the skills. You need much more than a natural talent for connecting if you want a paying job though that will be a bonus in the long run. If you are good at grooming and mucking start there and ask about sitting in on training sessions or exercising stock.

I agree with TimmysMom. I lucked into my first position but it was more because I had horses that people noticed as well as being able to handle horses others had issue with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.