The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, I had the vet out earlier today to float my rescue mare's teeth and do a pregnancy check on my other mare.

My mare Gypsie was confirmed in foal by the vet.

We bred her back in June, but she didn't take, so we re-bred her on the last day of her heat cycle in July. I honestly didn't think she had taken, since she's 19, the stud is in his late twenties, etc... but she did!

As the day progresses and it's slowly really sinking in, I'm getting more and more excited!

My mare is a bay TWH, 15-1 hands tall, and nineteen years old.

The stud is a true black TWH, 15 hands tall, and in his late twenties.

It's funny, because next year when she foals, I'm going to have a 'family group'... Gypsie's foal will be a full sibling to my gelding Dakota and a half-sibling to my rescue mare, lol!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will post pics soon, of both mare and stud if yall like. :)

I have to go get some good pics and then will have to wait and use the wifi either at work tomorrow or at my aunts tonight!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Britt I know this is what you planned for and I am happy she is in foal.
Good luck.
Read up on the threads here about caring for a broodmare.
Lots of good information and best of all its free. Shalom

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I wanna see :)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will post pictures tomorrow! I have them on my camera, but don't have my camera cord to import them to my computer with me!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pictures are up in a thread in the Horse Pictures board! I'm about to add recents of my mare and some more of the stud, too!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I wouldn't be saying it is from one stud or the other without a DNA test since she was still showing heat after breeding. She could have very well taken the first breeding to the first stud and still shown a standing heat to the other stud. It does happen. Even more so since you didn't US to check for pregnancy either time.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She was only bred to one stud, not two different ones. :)

And I did get a preg test done now, so I know for a fact she is preggo and she could only be preg by the one stud she was bred to, lol.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
The foal cannot be registered so DNA would not be worth the expense IMO.
If the foal is bay or black then most likely britt will be right about who the sire is.
What is important now is a healthy foal and mare.
Britt if you choose to breed that mare again then do yourself a favor and take every precaution you can.
Once again I hope you have a healthy foal that meets all your expectations. good luck. Shalom

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm still extremely confused as to why yall seem to think that a dna test to see if the sire is the sire is needed... She's only been bred to one stud... so regardless, the foal will be that studs offspring, lol.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
They are assuming that you bred the horse to one stallion back in June and then again in October. That's what it sounds like from what we see. Maybe you can explain the whole scenario to stop confusion.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
She has only been bread to Bear right? Congratulations on the foal, I can't wait to see him or her!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
If Britt says she was bred to the black stud then maybe we should accept that.
Does it really matter on way or another? There is a foal on the way and a young inexperienced owner that needs to learn as much as possible in the next few months.
I too was confused about the breeding.
Now I have resolved to hope for the best and wish Britt an easy foaling. Shalom

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.