The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, what is the softest legal western bit that I can use on my horse in 4H?? I am looking for a VERY soft bit that is still acceptable for western showing.
Thank you!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
A bit in only as soft as the hands using it.

That being said. You need to pull out your rule book and see what the rules say about what bit can and can not be used and what the criteria are for the bits in your 4H club.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
About any curb bit is legal in 4-h. You need to look at your hands to find a soft bit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have soft hands, however, I am leasing my horse out to a 4H rider and her hands still move when she trots/canters. She will be taking lessons but I just want my horse to be as happy and comftorable as possible. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and he has ridden western but I do english with him and use a french link snaffle so that is why I am trying to find a very soft bit...

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You could find a curb bit with short shanks that has a french link type of mouthpiece in it. That might be the best bet. If you can't find one like that by a bit with the shanks you want and a bit with a mouth that you want made of the same metal and take it to a metal fabrication or welding shop and have them put it together for you. If you use stainless steel it should shine up well enough that you won't be able to tell the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.