The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've ridden on the hunter & eq. circuit for a few years, and have trained mainly in english for the past 8 years; with western riding here & there...but to be honost, i'm getting bored with it. I'm 18, and am looking to ride more western, not sure how far i'll take it.

here's what i need help with: western boots!. seriously, i know my way around english saddles, boots, breeches, bridles, tack like its the back of my hand...but western stuff...it's like reading mandarin chinese.

i'm looking for a reasonably priced pair of boots (not something crazy expensive, but not cheap either - I want a great quality boot...I hope to have them for awhile & whatnot.) I'm not a big fan of a 'high' heel, and I'd like them to be comfortable to walk around in as well.

I've only really heard of Justin & Ariat western boots....so I'm looking for all your guys' thoughts on western boots..and what you would recomend...thanks!

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I have these Justin boots Justin women's pink stitch Gypsy riding boots - round toe

My local Western Wear shop suggested them since I have wide feet and can't wear anything with a narrow toe. They are very comfy and more importantly, came right out of my stirrups last week when I ended up doing an emergency dismount. I paid $40 for them on sale. Oh and the pink on them made my lil girl happy since she has pink boots and wanted us to match.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I use and have only used ropers for everyday use and riding. They last long, come it lots of color variety, are comfy, and aren't too expensive. I won't wear any other ones for just my everyday use. I think the pair I bought this summer were $90.00. But since I've been riding there only the second pair I've bought. Though my instructor gave me a pair of hers she didn't use anymore, so I have an extra pair.

I don't really like these ones, but heres a quick example of what they look like: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&um=1&ei=7j13S7W_NqaetgO7wbW8Cw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Roper+ladies+-+Horseshoe+Kiltie&spell=1&start=0

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
for me it's ariat over justin. square toed over round. and I like the boot to come up about mid-calf. when I'm in the saddel the shorter ones leave more leg to be rubbed on.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I personally only like western boots that on the upper end. When I go to by a pair of boots there are several things I look for. I like to have a pegged sole. Double pegged IF I can. These are much better made boots and will hold up for ever.

Here are some of the better boots you will find. These are great. I have owned a pair for years. They look like they are new.

CowboyWarehouse: Rios of Mercedes

Also when trying on boots. The heal should slip when they are new. If they do not they do not fit properly and you need to keep looking or go up a size.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
My favorite are Lucchese, the 2000 series. I've had my current pair for ~10 years or so. Very plain, very heavy duty, nothing fancy, they are for riding not dancing but they are reasonably priced. The pair I have cost me $200 (but that was 10 years ago).

I also have a pair of Justin and a pair of Ariat lace ups that I use for training and going to auctions or in the mud.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
My favorite are Lucchese, the 2000 series. I've had my current pair for ~10 years or so. Very plain, very heavy duty, nothing fancy, they are for riding not dancing but they are reasonably priced. The pair I have cost me $200 (but that was 10 years ago).

Those are nice boots too.

I also have a pair of Sanders. Now I really like those boots. They are about 15+ years old and they fit like slippers. So comfy.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I wear Hathorn boots. They send you a kit to measure your foot and then custom make them to your feet. I have very large feet and it is hard to find good boots but Hathorns have always lasted a long time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I wear Twisted X brand. They were $50 on sale and usually run between $100 an $200. I had them resoled after a year an a half of wear all day everyday. if you only wore them to ride they would last forever! I just wear mine constantly lol

They are nice boots super comfy and they will form to your feet after a few wears.

I also hear that ariats are good but They dont fit my feet right!!! I cant wear them...but you might try a pair to see.

So for non-lace up cowboy boots I say twisted X, ariat if they fit you right.

If you want lace ups justins an timberlands are good.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Kevin I have long narrow feet, So i rarely can buy anything off the shelf. Unless it at one of those boot stores in dallas with 10,000 to choose from.

Last summer Nocona had a factory trailer make the rounds of the Reams stores. I think a day in Layton, day in SLC and day in Provo area.

The trailer had one of every size that nocona makes. You try the boots on till you find the pair that fits. Pick out a color, style and leather and go in the store and pay for it. They give you a 20% discount for waiting for the boots to be made. 8 weeks later your boot arrive fresh from the factory.

I can honestly say, these are the best fitting boots that I ever bought. I bought a pair of Oiled Toro for everyday wear.

In the past if I was lucky I could find "B" width on the shelf, But I actually ordered a "AAA" width when I got fitted. Which no store ever stocks.

Back to the origina posters question of what cowboy boots to buy. What are you going to do with them? Do you want something showy for the judges, comfortable to ride in, to go line dancing in?

Almost 100% of the time I wear lace up packers when I'm riding the horse. Since I ride so much back country and wilderness, I want some thing that has a lot of ankle support in case I have to get off and walk. And as comfortable as my traditional cowboy boots are for going to a movie with my wife, or feeding the horses, or just hanging out. I would not want to walk 5 miles in the mountains in those boots.

Since I don't show, I could care less about what people think of my appearance. I want something that has a spur ledge, that had enough heel to prevent me from slipping through the stirrup, That has enough of a point to slip easily into the stirrup. That has a little thicker sole so I don't rock bruise my own feet if I take a hike. I have lighter boots for summer use and heavier boots for cold weather use. I think the "Kenetrek Cowboy" boots are the best cold weather winter boot you can buy.Kenetrek Boots They will keep your feet warm at 0*F. I have Ariat, Justin, Double D and others that I wear depending on the season. I frequently take several pair with me, because I get them wet and I prefer a dry pair to wear tomorrow if I get the wet today. Some times we get out feet wet crossing rivers.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i wear a lot of double H boots, and really like them for the most part. i hesitate to wear the crap out of the one pair. they're so dang comfy and they were on sale.......because they were being closed out and no longer produced. i messed up and got a pair of mex made ones that are a bit too small, but they're a great riding boot because they're stiff and fit snug w/o insoles. spurs probably won't come off of them again any time soon.

wife has a pair of dan post men's work boots. great pair of HEAVY boots, and they're holding up quite well to regular wear.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Ariat's boots are the best. I have owned nothing but Ariat's sinc eI discovered them. I bought a pair when I started competing again after my break and **** was I happy. They were comfortable, durable, stylish, and even when I got stepped on by ****** it didn't hurt the toe was so thick. You won't find better ones, trust me :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've worn western boots every day- all day for 50 years. I've worn Tony Lama, Justin, Hawthorn, White and Lucchese. But my favorites for many years were Olathe. I think Olathe's lost quality after they were bought out by one of the big bootmakers. I've worn Ariat for the past several years. They are comfortable (for old feet) and come in a wide variety of styles. The hold up well too. With good care they last me 1 1/2 to 2 years.
BTW, I don't wear lace ups anymore. About ten years ago I fell off a horse (goofing off) and got hung up. Broke a vertebrae- it was not fun. I thought I'd better go to wearing slip-ons (or not fall off anymore!).

Rod

·
Registered
470 Posts
Though I ride Western I'd never give up my english rubber boots :lol:
Had them for 10 years and just love em!

Do show picks when you got your boots ;D

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I do like Ariats, they are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn and they hold up pretty well. Pretty much for any really good quality boot, you are likely to spend over $100, though lesser quality can be found cheaper. I like the slick leather sole boots as opposed to the crepe soles or the probaby, I don't want to risk getting a foot hung. I have also found that the square toes are much more comfortable.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ariat Probaby! I also have Fat Babies, (which I wear 90%) of the time for daily wear, but my Pro Babies are for the barn. Smooth bottom for easy escape from the stirrups, and crap doesn't get stuck in the treads. I LOVE my Ariats. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.