The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m finally able To afford a new pair of western and boots and was wonderin what’s you all recommend all recommend. I am looking at Justin and ariat right now.
Also have any of you motive any difference with comfort or walking between the angled heel (walking heel) and the straight (roper I think it’s called) heel?

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I prefer Ariat over Justin, but they are similar. I like the roper heel-- it's more comfortable if I wear my boots all day. I prefer the crepe-type sole-- still safe in the stirrup, but much more comfortable than a leather/flat sole if you do a lot of standing/walking. Right now I have two pair of the Ariat Probaby boots--- one for riding/barn stuff and one for casual wear.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I love love love my Justins!! Only brand of boot that has never given me a single blister from Day 1 despite which type of Justins I buy, just cant say anything bad about them! (from my experience) I havent worn Ariats in years, was going to get a pair I loved online, tried them on and literally could not get them off fast enough.

I also have a pair of Durango's that I love....was difficult for me to break in, but I kept going back to wearing my Justins, so my own fault...since Ive broke them in theyve been amazing! Going on 4yrs with them somehow...granted I hardly wore them the first year or two but they look awesome still and I havent had any issues since consistently wearing them!

·
Super Moderator
10,038 Posts
I bought a pair of Ariats with a moderate heel on a dare and like them for schooling when I'm on and off horses all day. They have 16" tops so they work okay for English saddle stirrup leathers, too.

I have a pair of Justin's with the walking heel that I use for winter riding. Shorter tops. Larger to accommodate extra socks. Good boots, too.

I have boots with 18" tops and riding (2" and 2&1/4") heels for most ranch riding.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ariat is the one brand I know will fit me without trying them on. Plus you don't have to break them in as they feel so good the first time. I haven't worn Justin's in a long time to say whether they fit as well as the Ariats.

·
Registered
Dreama - rescue from the local dog pound. Some type of gaited horse mix of unknown history.
430 Posts
I don't have much experience between brands, but I bought a pair of Ariat Ropers a few months ago now and they've been really comfortable. I wear them both for riding and an intro construction class I'm taking

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Toe Styles

what kind of toe do you guys prefer?

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
My favorite everyday boots are the short round toe Justins. I like the round toe. I do have a pair of square toe but I don't wear them as much, They are a little taller and I think they just don't feel as good. I have one pair of ariats and I can't get them to break in - they hurt my feet. They are just too narrow.

I have a pair of durangos and they are pretty comfy and cut as well.

For "pretty" I like the Corrals. They are really pricey but they are super comfortable and I always get a ton of compliments in them....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Funny, but when I met my wife, I was wearing a pair of Ariat Lace-Up Ropers and she was wearing regular pointed boots. While discussing boots with her, and she liked the ones I had, we decided to get rid of the pair of pointed boots she had. First, got her Black Roper boots and later got her a Ariat Lace-Up Ropers. She still wears the Lace-Up ones, but had to get rid of the Black Ropers.

As for me, had to get rid of my old Ariat's, due to very tight, and got me Ariat Lace-Up Hiking Boots and recently, got me another pair of Ariat Lace-Up Ropers for Christmas.

During the years I roped, I wore my old Ariat Lace-Up Ropers and loved them.

I really got surprised at all the "city looking" cowboy boots that Boot Barn sells today. Very colorful and some even have colored stones on them. Definitely not for wife and I.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I like Ariat and I prefer the roper heel for walking. I like the looks of traditional western heels but they are not as comfortable. Recently I found Ariat Terrain H2O pull-ons. The uppers look like traditional cowboy boots with a rounded toe, and the soles are similar to the short lace-up terrains with a bit more traction. I love them! They are so comfortable.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Styles really come and go with boots. When I was a college age kid everyone wanted lace up ropers. A month or so ago I noticed the punchiest punchy cowboys have gone back to “cockroache killer” pointy toed boots up to their knees with fancy embroidered tops.

Personally I like a Rios of Mercedes boot with about a 14” top, riding heel and cutter toe. To me that looks the best and they ride great and feel good to walk in.

I have an older pair of Becks that I love. Best thing about them is they can totally be rebuilt. Can’t say that about most boots.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wear my square toe roper heel Double H's everyday. They are steel toe, but it doesn't affect the comfort - they are just heavier which you get used to. I work in them, ride in them, and just about everything else. I'm on my second pair in I don't know how many years (many) only because the seam on the bridge (over the widest part of the foot) came apart on my last pair. I had it repaired and got another year out of them, but there just wasn't enough material left to hold it together. They are still sitting on my shelf with busted seams because I can't seem to let them go yet haha - anyone else have that problem? Why I bought another pair was because myself and other owners of the same boot gave feedback and they changed the design slightly to keep the same general look we liked, but moved the bridge seam back further into the foot so it won't be under so much stress. I appreciate a company that listens to feedback and responds like that.

I have a pair of soft shaft square toe Ariat Ramblers for casual wear, and a pair of Luchesse calf skin round toes for dressing up a little. Really no complaints about any of them once they get broken in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.