The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
This demonstrates a nice low level of training wanted for western dressage.
The horse shows acceptance of the bridle and maintains a basic rhythm throughout the test. It is about what I would expect for an accurate first/second level test. Note that I say accurate and not good, or high scoring. For that the horse needs to be a bit further along, and more consistent.

Is it collected? No. Not in a dressage sense. The horse is most often weighted on the forehand, there is loss of rhythm before the lead swaps, the lateral work is not confirmed and the horse does not show an ability to maintain self carriage.
There are some (a lot) of basic dressage training principles missing here and the horse (and rider) would be well served to go back to the basics and solidify them before attempting to perform the "tricks" seen in this video.

Collection is power. Collection is having the horse on a breath of an aid. Collection is riding on the edge of insanity. This test shows none of those things. It is very laboured and at times, imbalanced.
However, as I said before, it is a good demonstration of a horse preparing for a first or second level WD test.

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
I think many European dressage competitors could learn something from some of these western riders!!!
This is Cowboy Dressage btw - not Western Dressage or European Dressage and shouldn't be compared with either.
We watched a clinic/demonstration by Eitan recently and he went to great lengths to explain that it is not about perfection but about training horses that can be more useful on the trails and all other aspects of Western riding but most of all its about having fun.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Put "dressage" in a name, and it's going to get judged like dressage ;)
I would love to see the horse confirmed in the training before arriving to the show and being asked to perform movements only at his current level, instead of beyond them. IMO the horse is overfaced.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Really cool to watch, I wonder how many times he accidentally bumped his horse with the pole when practicing that lol!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Western Dressage? I didn't even know there was such a thing. I have always enjoyed watching dressage, but I am more of a Western person right now. So to know that option is somewhere out there, is really cool.

(I will have to watch this video later, since I am at work right now :3 )

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
This demonstrates a nice low level of training wanted for western dressage.
I can't even begin to express how negative I feel towards this response. It just goes to show you are just not "getting it". Dressage is not a term that only applies to "english" riding. It simply needs to be translated to it's original meaning of training. A true western horse should NEVER be held to the traditional english standards.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I am not a fan of Western, normally but I really liked this. The horse and rider both seemed relaxed and comfortable. Looked like a fun routine. :)

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
The very reason that Eitan distanced himself and his Cowboy Dressage away from Western Dressage is because he didn't want it to be judged in the same was as Western or European dressage and it never will be
He is originally from Israel and later spent a lot of time at the Spanish Riding School so to him "Dressage' just means Training and his tests are designed to test the skills of a western working or trail horse
One example he showed was in the tests where they walk or trot over ground poles - the poles aren't placed in any particular related distance because on a trail fallen branches or trees aren't carefully laid out and horse and rider have to learn how to shorten/lengthen a stride to negotiate them
If you're looking at Cowboy Dressage and wanting the same out of it as you get from European Dressage then its not for you and best to just move on as Eitan's philosophy is not open to argument

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It's nice to see no tie downs or any ""contraptions"" that keeps his mouth closed or his head curved in.

Alright Brisco - get off you lazy butt and lets see if we can do this without falling!! --Because I don't think we can!!

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Put "dressage" in a name, and it's going to get judged like dressage ;)
I would love to see the horse confirmed in the training before arriving to the show and being asked to perform movements only at his current level, instead of beyond them. IMO the horse is overfaced.
No put dressage in the name and YOU are going to start judging against your version of dressage, as Jaydee says, best you move on.

Loved the video, thanks for sharing, beautiful work.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I can't even begin to express how negative I feel towards this response. It just goes to show you are just not "getting it". Dressage is not a term that only applies to "english" riding. It simply needs to be translated to it's original meaning of training. A true western horse should NEVER be held to the traditional english standards.
Ok sorry I just re read that and yes, it sounds terrible.
What I meant is that it shows a level of training appropriate for a low level WD test, or just plain dressage. Ack. Not that WD is just low level.
That will teach me for posting in a hurry!

WD is MUCH more than this video shows and I would not be touting this video as a good example of mid/upper level WD training. IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
13,273 Posts
...It just goes to show you are just not "getting it". Dressage is not a term that only applies to "english" riding. It simply needs to be translated to it's original meaning of training...
If you do that, we no longer have a word to describe the style of riding that we now call "dressage". If I dressage my mare to take long, flat strides with roughly 57% of her weight on her front end, then what do we call a sport where the goal is a collected gait? If I dressage my horse to accept no contact, then what do we call a "dressage training scale" that requires contact?

We have a word in English that covers training: "training". Defining dressage as training gives us nothing, but robs us of a useful word describing a sport and tradition.

Since dressage has been in use in the USA for a long time meaning one thing, I suggest the new sport change its name to something like 'Collected Western Riding'. Or maybe "Western Fun" instead of "Western Pleasure", or "Classical European Western Riding"? Or "Classique Western Riding européenne", or "Circonscription de l'Ouest", or "Cheval Occidental"?

"Morte circonscription européenne Homme de chevaux", anyone?

And blame Google translate for any errors...

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
No put dressage in the name and YOU are going to start judging against your version of dressage, as Jaydee says, best you move on.

Loved the video, thanks for sharing, beautiful work.
Actually, I mean this quite literally. WD competitions are judged by dressage certified judges.
I also agree with bsms. If they didn't want to be compared with dressage, maybe calling it "riding in a 20x40 area in western tack" might have been more appropriate ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
Ok sorry I just re read that and yes, it sounds terrible.
What I meant is that it shows a level of training appropriate for a low level WD test, or just plain dressage. Ack. Not that WD is just low level.
That will teach me for posting in a hurry!

WD is MUCH more than this video shows and I would not be touting this video as a good example of mid/upper level WD training. IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
How many times do I have to say this before it sinks in - the person in this video is not competing in a WD event - this is Cowboy Dressage. Not the same thing and not judged in the same way.
And
The word dressage was used for training long before the FEI existed - its just one of those French words that has never been translated into anything else
Also
I don't recall there being any uproar about driving horses having dressage tests and they aren't even ridden

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Ah, yes but the driving horses do real dressage - have you seen a 4 in hand dressage test? It is something to behold. The teams also usually consist of horses already trained in dressage under tack, and the horses are regularly schooled ridden.
They ask for SI, counter canter, etc.. and by golly the horses do it, and well! Very nice to watch.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
ETA WD encompasses all dressage is western tack - does it not? That's what I see in the video. A dressage test in western tack. Or is it a guy in western tack and a stick riding around inside a white fence with letters and a judge? Sorry for confusing the two, guess I'm just too dumb to understand ;)
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.