The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there is a western dressage series starting up nearby. I've been kind of googling images and it looks like people are using two hands with a port bit is that correct?

Tell me about it... is it a pattern like regular dressage? What's the scoop...If I do it - obviously I would do the green rider or green horse division since we've never done it before... I haven't ridden dressage in 30 years...

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
As far as I can tell, western dressage is dressage in western tack with a more casual attitude and a more beginner-friendly culture. You don't need any specially-bred warmblood, you can use the horse you have, including gaited horses. Standard dressage patterns are used.

There seems to be a proliferation of responses to the popularity of dressage competition. There's "cowboy" dressage which is more referencing baroque type horses and the Iberian type of riding (which is the basis of the Vaquero western style). And so many Trail/obstacle competition types and organizations I can't keep track of them, some of which are arena-based and aim for extreme suppleness and responsiveness at a collected canter. Those are cool to watch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For my local western dressage show the rules were if you were riding with a port bit you could use either one or two hands but you must stick with your choice throughout the rest of the test.

The test portion was quite similar to English tests in regards to the pattern and the only real difference was what they called the gaits (canter/lope + trot/jog). I was part of an entry level class so it was pretty straight forward.

It was a lot of fun and I recommend anyone to try it!

·
Super Moderator
26,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I might try it. Just for the fun of it. I think the one I found is kind of a local level deal but it sounds like AQHA may be adding it so it would be good to get out and try it...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Go for it! A friend signed me up last year. I went and took one lesson 2 days before show so I knew what a 20 meter circle was. Had never had a lesson in my life before that. We did Basic level (skipped a step) and somehow won. We did two shows last year and got a 1st and 2nd. The second we tied for first and came down to the section on the back. Still learning how it works.

Reactions: farmpony84

·
Registered
910 Posts
I see there is a western dressage series starting up nearby. I've been kind of googling images and it looks like people are using two hands with a port bit is that correct?

Tell me about it... is it a pattern like regular dressage? What's the scoop...If I do it - obviously I would do the green rider or green horse division since we've never done it before... I haven't ridden dressage in 30 years...
Also... I believe most any bit is acceptable. I ride in just a loose o ring snaffle. My horse hates a curb bit of any kind.

Reactions: farmpony84
1 - 6 of 6 Posts