The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I just bought a new horse and before i buy a bit for him I want to know which to use... He needs a lot of work on the basics so I need a bit that will help him with that, I don't want it to be too harsh but I also want him to listen to it. He needs to learn how to flex and when I tell him to turn I don't want him to be able to refuse it of pull against it that easily! but like I said, I don't want a hard-mouthed horse so I cant have it to harsh!

Basically i need a bit that i can use to get him to where he is a GREAT well mannered, gentle and responsive horse! as of now that's all I ask of him then eventually i will move on up to show disciplines. He is a Spanish Mustang btw =)

·
Registered
50,285 Posts
Since most of what you are pinpointing in his needs has to do with training, then a snaffle is what works best for this. The curb bit is for after he has been trained to be responsive to the bit and to your hand/seat/legs.

More than any bit, you need a mentor or a guide to help you in his training and having a slow but clear plan as to how you bring him along. This, more than any bit , will be the backbone of your training program.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.