The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m showing in a show in March where I will be doing western pleasure this show is kinda big it’s all breed and it costs 100$ just to do one class and I’ve never shown pleasure at a show like this and I was wondering do I have to cut my horses Mane or can I leave it long?

·
Banned
Snickers- Seal brown and white pinto mare
243 Posts
I’m showing in a show in March where I will be doing western pleasure this show is kinda big it’s all breed and it costs 100$ just to do one class and I’ve never shown pleasure at a show like this and I was wondering do I have to cut my horses Mane or can I leave it long?
Is it a registered horse show (Like AQHA, APHA, TWH)? Because if it isn't I think you can leave it long. If it is an AQHA show, then I think you have to pull and band it, but I'm not sure. Thats problably not very informative, but I hope it gave you at least a little help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a registered horse show (Like AQHA, APHA, TWH)? Because if it isn't I think you can leave it long. If it is an AQHA show, then I think you have to pull and band it, but I'm not sure. Thats problably not very informative, but I hope it gave you at least a little help.
It’s a open breed show and there are AQHA classes but I’m not signing up for those I’m just signing up for 18 and under walk/jog western pleasure classes

·
Banned
Snickers- Seal brown and white pinto mare
243 Posts
It’s a open breed show and there are AQHA classes but I’m not signing up for those I’m just signing up for 18 and under walk/jog western pleasure classes
Okay, in my experience with open breed classes you can do whatever you want with her mane, but I would check with the person holding the show just to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
Look at what is standard for her breed. Double check rules for that class with the showsponsor.

As it is more about the way of moving I would think that if the mane was neat and presentable and treated in a manner to make the horse show to her best look (some look great with roached manes, some short and banded, others long and banded and still others pulled or long and flowing) then as long as it doesn't detract you should be good.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
I haven't been to a breed show in forever but I think the long manes, banded is getting trendy. Might be a good option for you if you don't want to do the traditional pulling and banding.

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
Normally they follow a breed rule. I would guess this one is following AQHA rules (just because you said there are AQHA classes).

As far as the mane goes you are supposed to do what your horse excels at. If he's an english horse then you would braid (but that's assuming you were doing multiple classes). Since you are only doing the one class - people can assume your horse is a reining horse or a ranch horse if his mane is long. They won't know. I would just band it and leave it the length you want it.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
I would strongly encourage you to find a local trainer to take a couple lessons with before then. Sounds like this show is a big investment for you and it's very helpful to have someone "on your team" to ask questions like this.

Ultimately, it depends on the rules of this specific show. You will have to ask management what show rules they are going to follow. Most follow the AQHA rulebook, but not all, so that is why you need to ask. But, if you are showing an Arabian at an open breed show, then you aren't going to pull/band the mane because that isn't typical for that breed, and the judge should judge your horse based on their breed. So the rules can be different for an open breed show.

It is not a rule per the AQHA that the mane has to be PULLED (not cut) and banded but most people do because that is the accepted thing to do. I will agree with the above comment that there are a few people branching out with long natural manes for their horse, but be advised -- if you choose to do something bold like that, you'd better be prepared NOT to make a mistake because the judge WILL be watching you! Which, if you've got a great horse to show off, that can be a good thing if used to your advantage.

I believe a youth won the World Showmanship class with a reining horse with a long mane. Which is out of the norm of the style, but clearly they are good, and they won. Others may try to follow suit. Trends are set by the winners!!

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
So for a ranch horse you are not supposed to do anything with the mane. For a reiner - they are allowed to have long manes. For an FQHA horse - you aren't supposed to touch the mane so....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Normally they follow a breed rule. I would guess this one is following AQHA rules (just because you said there are AQHA classes).

As far as the mane goes you are supposed to do what your horse excels at. If he's an english horse then you would braid (but that's assuming you were doing multiple classes). Since you are only doing the one class - people can assume your horse is a reining horse or a ranch horse if his mane is long. They won't know. I would just band it and leave it the length you want it.
The horse I’m using is a paint but there are no apha classes at this show and I’m also showing in an equitation class and I am gonna band it but I wasn’t sure if I had to cut it or not

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
Don't cut it. If you want it shorter then pull it or use a razor come at least.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You don't HAVE to cut it and you don't have to band it.

Having said that, LOOKING THE PART is often very important in any class because it shows your respect for and commitment to that discipline. Having a neatly banded two inch mane won't help you win if the horse is going badly, but it won't hurt. I have many friends and acquaintances who have competed to national level in AQHA, PHAA, & AAA WP and generally the ones who win the most titles also have the best turned out horses because they are absolutely dedicated to WP. Mind you, some have competed with long manes (on their reining horses) as well as hogged manes (on horses that also campdraft or suffered from Queensland Itch) after checking the Australian rule books to make sure it is allowed - it is.

So, check your rules but the short banded mane should be a recommendation not a rule - but it sure looks the part if you want to continue doing WP (and it grows back quickly if you only want to do the one show). Personally, I'd go all out to look the part - then if the choice was between my horse and another that was performing about the same but mine looked the part, most judges would lean towards the one with the right presentation. It probably helps if you know the judges - not know them as in 'we're friends so I'll do well' but know them as in know what they like - do they want a very forward moving horse, are they forgiving of a head too low, are they an absolute stickler for horses being turned out as WP horses and so on.

Good luck with it.

Reactions: AJ Yammie
1 - 14 of 14 Posts