The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Grey is like a blanket. The horse can have any colour underneath, including appaloosa and pinto markings, and eventually, the grey will cover it completely.

Also, Appaloosas don't necessarily need to be spotted. A high percentage of the breed is, but many are not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
He's lovely! and if I could afford him/had the space he'd be mine now, don't care whether he's spotty or not ;)

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
Grey covers spots. Varnish roan normally does not. That is why most people don't breed grey Appys, although there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it...one of the best known grey Appys was Alias Smith and Jones, grandsire of the great Hall of Fame Appy Dreamfinder...

Alias Smith And Jones Appaloosa

Dreamfinder Appaloosa

·
Registered
218 Posts
My mom's gelding is an appaloosa and while he's not as solid as this guy, he will be soon. He have very minimal "spotting" and is fading more and more each year.

Like everyone else said, not all apps are spotty!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!
I have no idea about how colour genetics work ;) Might sit down and figure it out one day!!

Showed mum.. she was like.. you sure you want a dressage horse aha!

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Question: Is that really a gray Appaloosa or is he just a few spot? His skin looks awfully pink to be gray...
If he had originally had spots that grayed, wouldn't those spots still be kind of noticeable due to the gray skin, like how you can see splotches of white vs "color" on a grayed out paint?

I don't know, just on a fact finding mission here... haha

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Walaby - if it has a "white" pattern with corresponding pink skin, the grey color isn't going to make that skin color change. It's just going to take the color and "erase" it from the hairs.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
Haha...he had some goggles on him didn't he? He had no intention of keeping his grey a secret...:rofl:

Reactions: Skyseternalangel

·
Registered
453 Posts
Haha...he had some goggles on him didn't he? He had no intention of keeping his grey a secret...:rofl:
*sigh* nope.. he's making sure I knew I lost from the start. Serves me right for breeding to a grey. I bet a million dollars I could give that mare to someone else and they could breed to the same stallion and get a nice non grey foal... but if I dared to try again I'd still get a grey.

It's too bad that grey suddenly changes his whole ability. I had one person who thought he was perfect... if only he wasn't grey. :cry: That's why I laugh when people talk about how color isn't important. If he had remained a dark bay he'd probably be sold by now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.