The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my QH mare in three weeks and I will be looking around for a saddle when I get her. I want to get a western saddle. I've already figured out I need a 15 inch seat but I'm not so sure on the tree.

I was think Full Quarter Horse bars - but I really don't know much about the sizing at all. All I know is she is a BIG horse!! She is very chubby right now and I am going to be having her lose weight when she gets here, so that should help.

Here are some pictures of her. What would you reccomend for her? I will probably be getting a used saddle so I want to know what I need to be looking for. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,624 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Agreed with the above :D Saddle fitting can be a hassle anyday; better to get the mare home before you get anything for her. Beautiful mare, by the way :)

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I was think Full Quarter Horse bars - but I really don't know much about the sizing at all. All I know is she is a BIG horse!!
Big horse does not mean full QH bars. My *tank* of a mare is "normal" per my saddle fitter. Yet my more finely built gelding needs the full bars.

As has been suggested - please wait to get the mare.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank-you so much for all the advice! I will definatly wait to get a saddle! In fact I'm thinking of riding her bareback for a while and getting her into shape before getting a saddle.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Riding bareback is sometimes the best solution :D It would be good for both of you. Post when you get a saddle!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats true - bareback riding will be very good. I need to learn better balance so this will be good practice. I'll certainly post when I get a saddle!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.