The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Owned by a cranky Quarter horse, a Mini, and 3 Mustangs
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a longshot, but hoping maybe someone can maybe point me in the direction of what brand/maker my newest saddle is as I'm a bit stumped at this point.

Recently picked it up out of an estate sale for $50, as the family couldn't be bothered about it. It's completely tooled from skirts to fenders, even on the top of the horn, all except for the suade seat, which is nicely attached with buckstitching.

But for the life of me, I can't find a brand or maker for it. I've checked under the skirts, under the fenders, on/under the latigo keeper, and I just can't find a stamp or name. The basic shape and tooling style is quite different from any of my other saddles, so i just don't know.

In the end it doesn't really matter, its a nice sturdy little saddle, and I quite like it. But curiosity killed the cat, as they say, and I can't help but wonder about it since all my other saddles have clear stamps on them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :giggle::giggle:

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Ditto @boots thoughts:)

The saddle was well cared for — too bad the family didn’t care more about it, but that will be my family with my tack, when I cash in😪.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sometimes the unmarked saddles are ones that were sold by Sear's and Roebuck or Montgomery Ward's.

They were usually made by good saddlers.

What is the tree made of?
As near as I can tell, the tree is made of wood I think? I'm no expert ofc, so attaching a pic for reference in case anyone knows better. Always looking for knowledge!

Wow if it's from either of those it's much older than I originally thought! And in this condition I'm surprised.
Thank you for the reply 😁

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ditto @boots thoughts:)

The saddle was well cared for — too bad the family didn’t care more about it, but that will be my family with my tack, when I cash in😪.
Lol same, I'm the horsey one in my family so I know the feeling. It's just "that horse stuff you spend so much money on" to them 😅

·
Super Moderator
10,231 Posts
The tree is wood and covered in rawhide. That's a good thing. Thats what you want.

I hope you find a use for your saddle. Or just enjoy having it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tree is wood and covered in rawhide. That's a good thing. Thats what you want.

I hope you find a use for your saddle. Or just enjoy having it.
Ah, thank you for clearing that up. I was wondering if it was rawhide I saw but wasn't sure. Thanks for the help!
I just tried it on my 4 year old filly today, and its actually a great fit for her and me, so I'm sure I'll get some good use out of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts