The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Western saddle (still going to be primarily english/dressage, but exciting times!) and my abundant supply of English pads just isn't going to cut it anymore :p I know NOTHING about them, and there seems much more to western saddle pads than you everyday quilted English pad!

So, who can recommend some relatively inexpensive saddle pads that I can look into? The saddle came with one pad, but it's not in particularly great condition and I would like to get one or two more. I've heard wonderful things about 5 star pads, but if I had $200 more to spend then I would have bought a $200 nicer saddle! I'm looking for decent, but affordable. So, what are the best options? If it makes a difference I'm fitting to a 15" Guffey barrel saddle with a rounded skirt, but square pads are perfectly fine.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Do you have any consignment tack stores in your area? Have you looked on ebay? Maybe post a "wanted" note at your feed store-many of us have extras just gathering dust in the tack room. You might think about posting your geographical area in your signature. it would help us to help you.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
What are you going to do in your spiffy new saddle?

Wool felt seems to be the material of choice with folks who spend hours in the saddle.

Toklat makes nice western pads and there are a few on ebay now. I just bought a brilliant purple one for a steal. You've probably seen their english versions of woolbacks and coolbacks already. They make western pads too.
Endurance Horseback Riding Saddle Pads

The mustang felt pads are cheap and hold up well. I also have a few of the Tough-1 pads that I can't complain about and are many years old.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have any consignment tack stores in your area? Have you looked on ebay? Maybe post a "wanted" note at your feed store-many of us have extras just gathering dust in the tack room. You might think about posting your geographical area in your signature. it would help us to help you.
We do have one feed store somewhat nearby that sells some western saddles on consignment, but I don't recall ever having seen any used saddle pads available. And all of their consignment prices are way over inflated :shock: I'm looking into getting used to get something of a little higher quality, but even then I don't know what brands hold up and which ones are cruddy!

I'm located in south Louisiana if anyone happens to know of any that are just lying around needing a home. Unused saddle pads are unheard of in my tack locker- I have about 10 English pads of varying sorts and all of them find themselves being used at one point or another before I have a big saddle pad washing day! I'm not looking to collect that many, but a couple of extras would be nice :p

What are you going to do in your spiffy new saddle?

Wool felt seems to be the material of choice with folks who spend hours in the saddle.

Toklat makes nice western pads and there are a few on ebay now. I just bought a brilliant purple one for a steal. You've probably seen their english versions of woolbacks and coolbacks already. They make western pads too.
Endurance Horseback Riding Saddle Pads

The mustang felt pads are cheap and hold up well. I also have a few of the Tough-1 pads that I can't complain about and are many years old.
I'm actually not too sure what I'm going to be doing with my fancy new toy :p I'm not planning on starting my horse on a new career of barrels or multiple day trail rides, but I've been wanting and casually scanning the local Craigslist ads for a deal that I couldn't pass up for a few months now. So, until I find transportation to those trail riding facilities the longest ride I'll be doing in it is probably a few hours down the levee at a walk/trot. I've heard great things about 100% wool pads, so I may look into getting one.

I actually have a Toklat coolback pad that I picked up for free when I bought some other items from a girl (it's pretty beat up and ugly in her words), but it's too thick for me to want to use with my saddle. Definitely something I can't afford new, but something used may come up.

Thanks for the advice, folks!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
If you're just going for a periodic ride, a Mustang brand 3/4" felt pad should do just fine. I purchased one for $19 (I had no choice on color at that price) to use on my lease horse, and it has held up surprisingly well over the last year. I've since upgraded to a better quality pad for training my personal youngster, but that cheap little Mustang pad is staying in the tack room as my spare.

Reactions: Gidget

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I really like classic equine saddle pads. Diamond wool pads are fairly cheap too! You can get a 1" round skirt for $60. That's a pretty thick pad though and can end up making the saddle too snug. I prefer a 3/4 but since you arent going to be riding in your barrel saddle too often you can most likely get away with a 1/2 inch pad.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
From researching for what saddle pad would be best for me I decided on a wool felt pad. There are a range of different ones out there, like I've heard good things about Diamond Wool (which seems quite affordable). Work out your price range and what you want (wool, foam, etc) and then get the best you can afford.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now I'm leaning towards something wool... though I'm still open to suggestions! I think I'm going to spend my money on something of reasonable quality instead of dividing the money up among a few low-quality items. I'll always have the one that came with my saddle as a back up.

I think that I've determined that my budget is $70 max... but much lower than that would be ideal. The most I've spend on an English pad has been $30...

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Definitely look on eBay and Craigslist. I found my 3/4" wool felt pad at a local tack swap for $20. It's barely been used (absolutely zero wear on the wear leathers and the pad hasn't been compacted at all). I also found a decent Proffesional Choice pad at a yard sale for $5. Maybe put up a ISO or WTB ad on your local Craiglist.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
303 Posts
For around your price range, I've heard really good things about this pad and other's in this thread also referenced Diamond Wool.

You can check other sites for pricing, but I think Jeffers is pretty competitive.

Ranch Tough Contoured Pad

If you decide to go for the Cadillac of pads (IMO), check out 5 Star.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm a recent Diamond Wool convert too. I've played with many different pads over the years but recently bought a Diamond Wool contoured endurance cut pad and I love it. It's 1in but doesn't feel crazy thick to me at all. It actually fits my saddle and my horse perfectly and seems to conform to both. I paid $70 shipping included. I also have a Billy Cook felt pad with raised spots in the bar areas for my mare that is SUPER picky about tightness and free moving shoulders. Paid $50 for that one. But my favorite "cheap" one that I really like is a Mustand ranch pad with canvas top. It cost me around $19 and it's really a nice little pad for just basic occasional riding. My daughter uses it under her western saddle for trail riding.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For around your price range, I've heard really good things about this pad and other's in this thread also referenced Diamond Wool.

You can check other sites for pricing, but I think Jeffers is pretty competitive.

Ranch Tough Contoured Pad

If you decide to go for the Cadillac of pads (IMO), check out 5 Star.
Oh, I have heard fabulous things about 5 Star and no negatives, so I would jump all over that if I could afford it! Even on ebay almost everything was over $200 :shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.