The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple really nice used saddles that I want to try out...one is a Big Horn and the others are Circle Ys. They are in my price range but they are listed as team penning or reining saddles, which I don't do. Would they be comfortable to ride around in for pleasure and trails? Im just a backyard rider. I'm sick of my synthetic and would like to upgrade to a quality leather saddle.

Also what is the difference of a team penning saddle, reining saddle and a trail saddle? They look very similar (atleast the ones I'm looking at...) to me. Sorry for my ignorance, I was comparing pictures online and none of which looked DRASTICALLY different than the other.

Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
there is not much difference other than marketing. As far as what is the right choice, only you and your backside can answer that

good luck

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
There are many differences between types of saddles, the point of balance, where the fenders are hung.

It does depend on how you ride. Like I don't like trail saddles. They're too soft which seems to often cover and uncomfortable seat, and they put you in a position where I feel its more difficult to ride "actively".

Reining saddles often have a low back and a very "shaped" seat which means you're not going to be able to move as much as you might want to.

No one can tell you what you want though. The best thing is to ride in a few and see what suits.

I like the sort of ranch types with enough seat space and legs more underneath you. I don't mind barrel saddles, as they are more sort of upright as well, and ropers tend to give me room to ride how I want.

Many people like many different things though!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I ended up winning the Big Horn team penning saddle on ebay! The price was right so I didn't mind taking a risk on it...hopefully it'll fit my gelding and I like the feel of it and how it rides. If not I'm sure it wont be too hard selling it. I'm excited! It looks extremely comfortable...it has a nice deep seat, which I love. I can't wait til it arrives!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.