The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a used Western Saddlery saddle. Seems decent quality but the wool underneath continues at the top of the gullet/along the spine channel and I was told that's a sign of a cheaply made saddle? I'm mostly concerned about what the tree is made of. The only logo on the saddle is the silver plate on the seat. Could not find the company on Google, anyone have more info for me or reviews?

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
Found this:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found this:

I've already read the few other posts on them, was hoping someone could give me some more updated info.

·
Super Moderator
10,039 Posts
Can you raise the jockey and look at the tree?

I would probably pass if you aren't 100% sure that it will hold up. And looking at it, I'm wondering if you'll find it a bit big, and maybe the seat some wide for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you raise the jockey and look at the tree?

I would probably pass if you aren't 100% sure that it will hold up. And looking at it, I'm wondering if you'll find it a bit big, and maybe the seat some wide for you.
It's a 16in seat and 6.5in gullet I think, fits the exact measurements I need. What should I look for that might be a good or bad sign when examining the tree?

·
Super Moderator
10,039 Posts
Best tree is a rawhide covered wood tree. But that adds a lot of weight. Most riders do fine with a fiberglass tree. Sometimes those come rawhide covered. My colt starting saddle is light and has a "ralide" tree, for putting on and taking off over and over.

Absolutely avoid a wood tree with a rough cloth covering. Occasionally the cloth will be painted with acrylic, but you can still see it's a cloth covering.

Set the saddle on its' front end, push from the back. Also alternate pushing more on one side and then the other. There shouldn't be give in the tree.

I asked about the seat size because that saddle looks like it is more rounded than many females like. Some call it a wide twist. Most females prefer a narrow twist, or they feel like they are riding a barrel.

Seat size preference seems to have some regional influence. I'm a size 7 and ride a 14", a 14.5", and a 15". I notice in other areas people ride bigger seats.

Best wishes in your saddle search.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The wide twist would put me off as well.
The seat should curve up and in so you’re not riding a plank.

Excuse my crappy edit but the red line should give you an idea what a narrower seat will be shaped like.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I believe that is a "Big W". They were bought out by Big Horn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best tree is a rawhide covered wood tree. But that adds a lot of weight. Most riders do fine with a fiberglass tree. Sometimes those come rawhide covered. My colt starting saddle is light and has a "ralide" tree, for putting on and taking off over and over.

Absolutely avoid a wood tree with a rough cloth covering. Occasionally the cloth will be painted with acrylic, but you can still see it's a cloth covering.

Set the saddle on its' front end, push from the back. Also alternate pushing more on one side and then the other. There shouldn't be give in the tree.

I asked about the seat size because that saddle looks like it is more rounded than many females like. Some call it a wide twist. Most females prefer a narrow twist, or they feel like they are riding a barrel.

Seat size preference seems to have some regional influence. I'm a size 7 and ride a 14", a 14.5", and a 15". I notice in other areas people ride bigger seats.

Best wishes in your saddle search.
Here is what I could see of the tree, looks to just be wood, what do you think? I rode in it and am so used to riding wide horses bareback that the wide twist does not bother me. Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Maybe an earlier version of Wenger saddles?

I had a western saddlery saddle that was made by Wenger saddles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts