The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently riding me mare in a reinsman correction bit because she performs beautifully in it and it allows for me to use a loose rein and she doesn't require much at all to stop. She is great in it but when I hop on her English with a snaffle she ignores it. (Nothing horrible like taking off, but she's more difficult to stop and half halt) I am looking to get another English bit to try on her. Maybe an English curb bit. What would be the best one to get that would work as well as the correction curb? Obviously taking into account the more contact and direct reining that is used in English riding. I'll post a picture of her current bit. I have been told that a Pelham would work. And if so I do not want to use double reins so are there alternatives?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Why not try something with the same mouthpiece? I realize that the action won't be completely the same, but it may be enough of a similarity that your horse responds better to it while you work on softening her to it.
There is one for sale on this page, 2nd one down.
Eggbutt Bits, Eggbutt Snaffle, Eggbutt, D Ring Snaffle Bit, Horse Bit, Riding Bits, Western World Saddlery, Caboolture, Brisbane.

fes d ring correction bit #22716.jpg

You might also try one with 'hooks', similar to what myler offers, if you feel that you need that extra 'oomph'.

Best of luck :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.