The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there’s so little time and so much stuff to do, the year flies by and in this strange Corona-time I stood still and wondered what I was dreaming when I was a kid. In that time I never heard about a bucketlist and how I probably needed one to write it all down to do all the things that I would do when I was a grown up.. And now I considered to be a grown up, what’s left of the dreams? Ehhh nothing?

So I thought it’s time for a bucketlist! A bit based on what I thought I would do when I was old (yes, someone in the age of 38 was back then old)

*Go for a ride at night
*Go grocery shopping/ or a drive in with my horse:dance-smiley05:
*Go on a pilgrimage with my horse to Santiago de Compostella
*Go see the herds in Iceland
* Take lessons in shooting bow and arrow WITH my horse (I want, but I’m a scaredy-cat. That’s why this is the last one )

Don’t know if I really gonna do all of these things but it sure makes me smile right now!

What’s on your’s?

(Excuse my spelling- I’m Dutch)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My current horse bucket-list item is to ride all the way across Yellowstone National Park. I visited the park last March and only could see the "winter area" of Yellowstone, due to every other part still being snowed in. I had never seen mountains up until then, being from Michigan. The wildlife is amazing, and of course so are all of the views.

I'm not sure of all of the logistics that would go into completing this bucket-list item, and I certainly don't have bison, bear, or wolf safe horses currently. I think they might be able to handle elk, but beyond that I'm not sure. I luckily have an advanced first-aid and backpacking background, but beyond that, I would likely need to travel with a much more experienced party, if this bucket-list item is even possible.

Beyond that, I would love to get back into eventing again, and take it as far as I can go. Right now, I think I have at least a training level horse, but beyond that eventually I'd like to achieve preliminary, maybe intermediate. The highest I've jumped is 4 foot, and it is absolutely exhilarating, but I don't think I will own a horse capable of doing 4 foot courses for a while, much less a xc course that level. But, really just getting back into eventing would be enough for me.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
- I'd like to take a couple of horses and ride the coastal paths and hill passes in the Highlands and Islands. Perhaps, ride the old Drovers' routes.

- Have a go at endurance riding.

- Return to riding side-saddle.

- Have another go at horse archery

@dewilderoos - Horse archery is great fun! I've been shooting for around 30 years, so i thought it would be easy to combine both sports. Honestly, once we were moving, i couldn't hit the long side of a barn!:smile:

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
I know there’s so little time and so much stuff to do, the year flies by and in this strange Corona-time I stood still and wondered what I was dreaming when I was a kid. In that time I never heard about a bucketlist and how I probably needed one to write it all down to do all the things that I would do when I was a grown up.. And now I considered to be a grown up, what’s left of the dreams? Ehhh nothing?

So I thought it’s time for a bucketlist! A bit based on what I thought I would do when I was old (yes, someone in the age of 38 was back then old)

*Go for a ride at night
* Take lessons in shooting bow and arrow WITH my horse (I want, but I’m a scaredy-cat. That’s why this is the last one )

Don’t know if I really gonna do all of these things but it sure makes me smile right now!

What’s on your’s?

LOL better than mine and I was raised with it. LOL

Me , hummm, I want to go to Mars and walk on the surface of it.

I think that if I can't go there, then I ain't going. :smile:

·
Registered
7,055 Posts

*Go for a ride at night

What’s on your’s?

I used to go trail riding at night when I was a kid. Pro tip: ride behind a gray horse!
We'd also stop at the 7-11 shop and snacks. We'd tie our horses to the electrical meter outside! We were really dumb at that time.
I would like to do the Compostella pilgrimage myself, but on foot. Horse would be far too complicated.
I do have this yen to go pony trekking in Iceland, even thought I might get to this fall, but making no plans. In fact it is about the only thing on my bucket list

I'm kind of old, and find that my future fantasies have gradually evaporated, being replaced with simple enjoyment of what I have right now. If I don't get to Iceland I will be fine.

·
Banned
954 Posts
Two of my long-term goals ((Which I suppose could constitute a "bucket list")) are Going to Iceland to ride the famous Icelandic Horses and Going to Chincoteague, Virginia for pony penning day.

In fact, a recurring daydream of mine is to make a vacation out of visiting all of the feral island ponies on the Altantic coast! Starting from Cumberland Island in Georgia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberland_Island_horse ,then heading up to the Outer Banks of North Carolina https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banker_horse , followed up by Chincoteague and Assateague islands on the Virginia and Maryland border https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chincoteague_Pony ,and then ending on Sable Island far off the coast of Canada https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sable_Island_horse !

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
I have never had a bucket list, never gave it a thought.

My middle niece was intent of visiting 30 countries before she was thirty. She isn't yet thirty and has only one to go which should have been achieved if the restrictions hadn't been brought in. When I asked her "What next?" Her reply was 40 before she was forty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s funny to see that all replies are kind of the same, long rides and a nature related vacations. Some are really inspiring. Hope you can all get the dreams go in to reality. But is alright to have great daydream.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bucket list

I was just lying In bed thinking about my bucket list and I sat for a bout 30 minuets just to come up with three. I’m sure other equestrians feel this to, but I don’t live with my horse. Emmie actually lives in NSW and I live In QLD so I a, finding it hard to see her because of the coronaviris. My bucket list is for after the COVID-19 or when I can go to NSW next.

- go to Leg beach and ride Emmie there, as I have heard that is a great place for a ride.

— do Liberty with the horses so I can improve our bond.

— get new riding gear

Thanks for reading :runninghorse2:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
There are a few things that I guess would be on my 'bucket list'.

I've always wanted to ride a horse down a beach. And I don't mean the horses you can rent at resorts in Mexico or anything like that either.

I have this dream of going to France and cycling and running in Southern France and doing wine tours. And also riding horses....not sure if they have horse riding wine tours, but that would be RIGHT up my alley!

Something a bit closer to home is an endurance ride that is down by the US border - it is renowned for being absolutely beautiful. I booked the days off this year to go, but now with COVID I'm not sure it will actually happen :(

I also really want to compete in endurance on my mare - but that isn't so much a bucket list thing than a goal that may or may not be attainable this year.

·
Registered
754 Posts
My barn regular trailers down to Cape Cod for beach rides... All-day, w/t/c, in the dunes, on the beach... I would love to go on one.

Right now when this is over I'd like to spend a few days at a nice resort/ranch in the mountains and alternate riding with massage.

Going horseback camping (used to be a place in the Berkshires that'd do this).

Take a string of days and ride all day/every day, lesson and trail and practice in the ring. Just work my brains out.

Buy a horse! At some point.

Take family & friends riding, go riding in Rock Creek Park, or out in WV in the hills.

Go on a weekend adventure with my trainer to a sales barn - even if I don't buy anything, I'd like to experience it.

Learn more about trimming/blacksmithing.

Learn to give injections on a horse! I can do them on people but that's quite different.

At Equine Affaire last year they had an obstacle course/trail style contest and I'd love to try that sometime. A nearby stable has games nights, too, which I'd like to try.

Ride in a parade, mainly want to dress up fancy and show off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts