The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Can't go wrong with a pair of Ariats!
I personally like the square toe, with the regular height. The extra height of the leather has protected me from quite a few accidents where otherwise my leg would have been severely hurt.
I also try to get the work bottoms if I can.

Old West is pretty good too. That's the brand of the pair I have now, and I love them.

·
Super Moderator
10,932 Posts
Riding boot? First choice are the Klamath Falls by Paul Bond. Second choice are my Olathes with 18" tops. They're my polo boots. Both support my feet, ankles, and lower legs like no others.

I do have a pair of Ariats, 16" tops, that I bought on a dare. The tops were dark pink. I'm not a pink person. I waterproof those to a ridiculous level and their okay for riding and chores.

I also have a pair of Olathe "blanks." 12" tops. Very plain. Only used for people to try on to size their feet. They're big on me. I use them for winter riding, or for horses with known behavior problems, because I can get my feet out easily if i get hung up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have worn Ariat Heritage lacers for years because I didn't think I could wear real cow boots any more. My last purchase was a pair of Twisted X square toe pull on cow boots that have been very kind to my old toes. They are almost a year old now and still going strong and I am not kind to my footwear but they are holding up well. One problem though: I had to buy wider stirrups for my saddle because of extra wide welt on the footbed of the boot wouldn't fit my stock stirrups. I wear a size 13 so I'm using my "winter stirrups" that are extra big.

Reactions: Angelrev

·
Registered
13,973 Posts
I like my Ariats with a square toe and 11" tops. The tops form a deep V. That plus 11" mean they slip on and off easy. I'd prefer a round toe but mine were on sale for $100 on Amazon and I figured I could put up with a square toe to save $50-75!

·
Premium Member
7,369 Posts
I like ariats, and my town boots are them, but I have a high arch and they never break in. That bothers me.

My everyday riding boots are Justin’s. They have a square toe and are short. I think they are called Gypsies or something like that. They are good, but not quite as well made as my old Justin’s, which were just a men’s boot. They held up really well. My problem is that I like the fancier styles than the Justin’s, but they are the most comfortable for my foot.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I tried over a dozen pairs before finding the Ariat Heritage Lace Up. I have problem feet. Even with the Ariats, I had to wear cushioned socked--cushion all around the heel and achiilles. And I carefully broke them in and used leather conditioner to soften them. But they are great boots. Tall enough to tuck your pants in if you want, they hit just above the ankle bone. They lace, so you can tighten them around a skinny ankle. I have big feet and a skinny ankle--so slip on boots just don't work. They are water resistant with a spray I put on. They are my non-winter boots, meaning pretty much three season boots in Midwestern USA.

My Winter riding boots are Ovation Highlander. They are 100% waterproof. The foot is a vinyl-like shiny material and the shaft is soft fabric neoprene. They are GREAT boots. The only issue I had was they are thin-soled with little cushion. But once I broke them in I was able to add an insole and now they are perfect. I put a little toe warmer in my sock on the coldest days, but as long as it's above 22 my feet and toes stay nice and toasty without anything but a thin alpaca sock. Once it gets to be over 50 degrees consistently--and the ground is unfrozen, they are way too hot for me. 50 degree days in Winter or even March, when the ground is still cold--are fine.

Reactions: bsms

·
Super Moderator
27,662 Posts
I have Justin Gypsies and Ariat Fatbabies (Short) that I prefer for everday and riding. I have Corrals (2 pair) for go to town boots. I do have a pair of square toed Justin Gypsy that are a little bit taller. I'm not as in love with them but they work fine. I have the durango pink ribbon boot that works ok but I'm not married to it. and I have a pair of Ariat Pro babies that I'm not crazy about. They are just ok. And yes - I know I have a problem. I like boots. What can I say?

Reactions: Knave

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a (15 YEAR OLD) pair of Ariat Probabys that I love to death, they are a round toe though I do prefer a square toe but the are tough as nails and are slightly shorter that average but not quite are short as the Ariat Fatbabys or Justin Gypsy. I find the Fatbaby or Gypsy height gets caught under my fender flare when riding. I also have a pair of Ariat Quickdraws which are standard 11" height and they are a square toe so I love the look of them but my Probabys are still my "comfy" boots.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I used to only buy Rios of Mercedes which are great boots but I was wearing them out too fast for what they cost. Now I only buy Beck boots which are a big upgrade in quality to other boots I've had. Was thinking about a pair of Paul Bonds but will be sticking with these.

·
Registered
AQHA gelding “Nico”
119 Posts
Boulet Boots - full round toe version is the most comfortable and attractive to me. I love the “horseman heel” and full leather sole. Bought 2 pairs already and love riding in them.

·
Registered
I have 6 wild children. 1 appy, 1 paint, 1 thoroughbred, 1 mustang, and 2 foundation quarter horses
18 Posts
I ride in Ariate VentTEKs. They are breathable in the summer and not so restrictive around thicker socks in the winter. They are tall so I have to wear taller socks, but they stay in place. I also have a pair of Justin Cattleman Kids boots that I will wear when I am training on the ground and in the saddle. I have fairly thick calves and tall boots aren't always comfortable on the ground. I wear a 7 in women's which is a 6 in kids so I buy the kids shorty boots and they are the perfect height and the boys tend to be a little wider which is nice on my toes. lol. I started wearing those when I broke my ankle because they were a little wider in the heel too so they didn't rub on my incision when I walked. They became my go to ground boots and they are pretty comfy to ride in. I like the arch support in my Ariats better, but the Justins fit my custom insoles. I have had various other brands, but they don't seem to last as long.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I cannot find a boot. I have a very high instep so they have to lace up and a wide toe. I need round toes almost to the point of being square. lol. I get the they never break in because of the instep, I also use extra insoles in my shoes. I have to take my chances with tennies.

·
Registered
I have 6 wild children. 1 appy, 1 paint, 1 thoroughbred, 1 mustang, and 2 foundation quarter horses
18 Posts
I cannot find a boot. I have a very high instep so they have to lace up and a wide toe. I need round toes almost to the point of being square. lol. I get the they never break in because of the instep, I also use extra insoles in my shoes. I have to take my chances with tennies.
Have you tried AdTech's. Or I guess they are Advanced Technologies Boots? They are lace up and wide and they are a work boot with a western flare. I can fit my insoles in them and I have worn them to ride, but the ladies boots don't have the same soles as the men's so they don't slide as nicely in my stirrups. But they are pretty nice for high arches and a decently wide toe box.

·
Registered
16,322 Posts
I have pretty much given up on "off the rack" boots. I will buy Double H men's Packers when I can find them, but they're not made any more so now I'm looking at buying the one's made by AdTec, looks like the same boots. They're ok for everyday muckers and riders and last about a year, which is ok for the price. For good boots, town & show riding, I wear my White's Custom Made Packers and they can't be beat. Also built on a men's last, my feet are very wide with very high insteps. If I can find a pull on with a loose enough instep to let my foot in, it will practically fall off with each step. I prefer a smooth leather sole, no grabbing the stirrups.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’ve never worn western boot much because I’ve never found any that were comfortable. But this past week I finally broke down and tried on some Ariat fatbabys. I really like them and find them very comfortable. Wide enough that I can get my food in without pain, round toe, and no blisters!

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Have you tried AdTech's. Or I guess they are Advanced Technologies Boots? They are lace up and wide and they are a work boot with a western flare. I can fit my insoles in them and I have worn them to ride, but the ladies boots don't have the same soles as the men's so they don't slide as nicely in my stirrups. But they are pretty nice for high arches and a decently wide toe box.
I have never heard of them. I may search for them. I usually get a mens shoe, tennys, etc to fit my wide foot.

·
Registered
16,322 Posts
I have never heard of them. I may search for them. I usually get a mens shoe, tennys, etc to fit my wide foot.
I just ordered a pair of AdTecs, they should get here this weekend. I ordered the men's size 7 because they don't seem to come in a Wide size in women's. I'll let you know what I think. They're available in Amazon's Prime Try Before You Buy section, so if they don't fit, I can just send them back.

This is what I ordered:

Brown Boot Work boots Font Athletic shoe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts