The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
Im from Denmark, and will be opening my own feed shop during this fall - I follow several horse communities around the world, on social media, and often - by accident - stumble across some sort of wonder product in the comment sections etc.
Often it’s different products that we haven’t even heard of in Denmark, and I often feel like we’re kinda ages behind here in the country 😂
I would however really like to be inspired, and to be able to offer the best “of everything” ;) in the mentioned shop.
So guys, will you help a fellow horse fanatic out, so I can make the best shop ever?
Please mention your all-time favorite horse product, that you wouldn’t live without! (Can be livestock product in general too)
It can be anything, treats, nutritional supplement, a specific tack care-product, some sort of wound wonder-thing, you name it!
(And yes I’m aware that some products will be super hard to import, needs registration and approval etc, but still, for the right products, it might be worth the fight :) )
Thanks a million! 😁💪🤠

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Basics like buckets, hoof picks, brushes, combs, fly spray, halters, lead ropes etc. Then manure forks, shovels, wheel barrow. Those are pretty much necessities for me to just keep a horse and stuff I use everyday.

I wish you luck at your shop!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basics like buckets, hoof picks, brushes, combs, fly spray, halters, lead ropes etc. Then manure forks, shovels, wheel barrow. Those are pretty much necessities for me to just keep a horse and stuff I use everyday.

I wish you luck at your shop!
Totally makes sense, I completely agree, they’re all essentials :)

What about brands? What fly spray do you swear to for example? 🤠

· Super Moderator
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
3,250 Posts
I swear by these products for thrush prevention/treatment:

For cleaning the sole and frog. I spray this into the central sulcus of the frog, and the collateral grooves, and any areas where I have concerns.

Once the Sole Cleanse has had a chance to dry a bit, I'll use this product to pack the central sulcus and any other areas where there could be deep thrush lurking.

My horse's chronic thrush has improved a ton with these! Three out of four of her feet are fully recovered and the frogs have grown back in beautifully. The fourth is still a work in progress but it's much better than it used to be. Their products aren't cheap, but they're effective while still being mild enough to allow healthy tissue to regrow. A lot of thrush products are too harsh and kill live tissue, which just makes the problem persist.

· Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I like pyrahna fly spray.

My friend @COWCHICK77 sent me these odd little plastic brushes that are surprisingly amazing. I don’t know the brand, but maybe she will chime in. They look like they would be a cheap impractical brush, but that Is deceiving, they are spectacular!

I like wool blankets, finally purchased a 5star for my husband’s birthday and it seems to be great.

Mohair cinches, the ones that are wider in the middle… weaver makes good ones.

Good halters and long leadropes…

· Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,959 Posts
Schreiners Herbal Liniment. Use it on dogs, horses, and yourself. It's always in my barn, Good stuff.

Reactions: NyxenDK

· Registered
374 Posts
Bag balm, corona ointment, tri-care, aerosol bandage, vet wrap, gauze, and basically any other wound care you can think of. Mine is always getting little cuts, scrapes, and rubs regardless of what I do so keeping stuff like that stocked is one of the main things. I use corona ointment the most. And M-T-G.

· Premium Member
8,170 Posts
@marymane Corona is the greatest! I had never even seen it, and my milk cow had such a cut up bag that I struggled milking her. I used a ton of bag balm, did everything I knew, and still her bag was getting bloody and sored and cut from the danged calves.

My father recommended I swap to Corona. He said when he was young that’s what they used to milk. It turned her bag around quickly! I never thought about using it for wound care.

· Super Moderator
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
3,250 Posts
Oh, I can't believe I didn't think to say... Desitin! Extra-strength Desitin (zinc oxide diaper rash cream) is great for almost anything. You can use it to treat thrush, scratches, mud fever, cuts and scrapes and rubs... It's antifungal, antibacterial, and doesn't cause problems with antibiotic resistance like prescription topicals can. Gentle, nontoxic, effective, and pretty affordable compared to a lot of horse-specific products!

· Premium Member
4,971 Posts
I love something called Nu-Stock. It smells horrible and works great for any kind of scrape. I don't put it on open cuts, but after it scabs up. Really good for little scrapes. It used to come in a big plastic tub, but recently, they changed to the tube. I hate the tube. I squeeze it into a plastic container and apply it with a popsicle stick. The reason why I hate the tube is that it separates into oil and goo and you can easily stir it back up with a popsicle stick. In the tube, you get the oil first, then the goo.

Amazon.com : Nu-Stock Wound Cream : Sports & Outdoors

I also love MTG --stands for "mane tail groom". Some horses are allergic to it, but if they are OK with it, it sure helps hair growth. I think because it smells so awful, the bugs don't bother whatever is itching the horse.

Shapley's - Free shipping | Chewy

We have a Horse Forum member in Denmark, @DanteDressageNerd. She is amazing. I wish we'd hear from her more often!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't really swear by any brand I don't think. I'm pretty open. When you say that you are "ages behind" what do you mean?
I see :)

Well I mean for example compared to the US, where a lot of great products of course is also made, I see time and time over that either when they finally reach us, they’ve existed for years and years already, or they just never get here. I know in Denmark the rules for medicin etc is waaaay more strict, and you can’t barely get anything useful unless through the vet, and it then cost a billion, so that might explain some of it, but some of it is probably also just because the country is that much bigger, and it might take a lot of time for brands and products to travel “overseas”.

I’ve stumbled across products, treats etc so many times in comment sections etc, where I’m like “why on earth don’t we have anything like that here?” - last time I recall was something as simple, as a treat that was specifically well at hiding pills and stuff in, for horses that were hard to feed pills 🤷🏼‍♀️

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I swear by these products for thrush prevention/treatment:

For cleaning the sole and frog. I spray this into the central sulcus of the frog, and the collateral grooves, and any areas where I have concerns.

Once the Sole Cleanse has had a chance to dry a bit, I'll use this product to pack the central sulcus and any other areas where there could be deep thrush lurking.

My horse's chronic thrush has improved a ton with these! Three out of four of her feet are fully recovered and the frogs have grown back in beautifully. The fourth is still a work in progress but it's much better than it used to be. Their products aren't cheap, but they're effective while still being mild enough to allow healthy tissue to regrow. A lot of thrush products are too harsh and kill live tissue, which just makes the problem persist.
ooh that’s interesting, Denmark is a veeeery wet and muddy country (we get rain all winter ;) ) so thrush is a big issue in general here too! I’ve never heard of Red Horse before, and will definitely look into it!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bag balm, corona ointment, tri-care, aerosol bandage, vet wrap, gauze, and basically any other wound care you can think of. Mine is always getting little cuts, scrapes, and rubs regardless of what I do so keeping stuff like that stocked is one of the main things. I use corona ointment the most. And M-T-G.
this is a perfect example, except for the gauze, I have no idea what any of the mentioned products are! :D sounds like there’s an agreement on the corona ointment too, must look that one up too!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love something called Nu-Stock. It smells horrible and works great for any kind of scrape. I don't put it on open cuts, but after it scabs up. Really good for little scrapes. It used to come in a big plastic tub, but recently, they changed to the tube. I hate the tube. I squeeze it into a plastic container and apply it with a popsicle stick. The reason why I hate the tube is that it separates into oil and goo and you can easily stir it back up with a popsicle stick. In the tube, you get the oil first, then the goo.

Amazon.com : Nu-Stock Wound Cream : Sports & Outdoors

I also love MTG --stands for "mane tail groom". Some horses are allergic to it, but if they are OK with it, it sure helps hair growth. I think because it smells so awful, the bugs don't bother whatever is itching the horse.

Shapley's - Free shipping | Chewy

We have a Horse Forum member in Denmark, @DanteDressageNerd. She is amazing. I wish we'd hear from her more often!
nu-stock and MTG added to the list! Mtg might really be important, we haveso many imported Icelandic horses here in Denmark, and they almost all get really bad itches in the summer due to some small bug and loses all their hair - I know its a giant issue, and as far as I know, we don’t really have any solutions, other than completely wrapping them up in bug-blankets.. (or something prescriptive from the vet)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like pyrahna fly spray.

My friend @COWCHICK77 sent me these odd little plastic brushes that are surprisingly amazing. I don’t know the brand, but maybe she will chime in. They look like they would be a cheap impractical brush, but that Is deceiving, they are spectacular!

I like wool blankets, finally purchased a 5star for my husband’s birthday and it seems to be great.

Mohair cinches, the ones that are wider in the middle… weaver makes good ones.

Good halters and long leadropes…
ALWAYS looking for effective fly spray too, I’m surprised we’ve never heard of Pyrahna, given one of their bestsellers is from 1973, according to the website!
I could fear it might be something with it being too “strong” to be “legal” in Denmark..
It might be slightly exaggerated, but after working a summer on a farm in Canada, I can’t really shake the feeling that everything that “works” isn’t really legal here ;)

haha, believe it or not, but the funny small brushes actually made their way overseas :) (or from where ever they originate from) - it’s very new though, and the shops gave them for free for a long time, as a little gift when you bought something else, because no one thought anything of them in the beginning, and wouldn’t pay for them! :D

· Registered
1,062 Posts
I see :)

Well I mean for example compared to the US, where a lot of great products of course is also made, I see time and time over that either when they finally reach us, they’ve existed for years and years already, or they just never get here. I know in Denmark the rules for medicin etc is waaaay more strict, and you can’t barely get anything useful unless through the vet, and it then cost a billion, so that might explain some of it, but some of it is probably also just because the country is that much bigger, and it might take a lot of time for brands and products to travel “overseas”.

I’ve stumbled across products, treats etc so many times in comment sections etc, where I’m like “why on earth don’t we have anything like that here?” - last time I recall was something as simple, as a treat that was specifically well at hiding pills and stuff in, for horses that were hard to feed pills 🤷🏼‍♀️
Interesting. I always think of Europe as the frontrunner of all things modern, new and innovative LOL! I read another one of your responses about Icelandic horses experiencing the reaction to bugs--sweet itch. There is a product that I have used that works well for me called Switch by Cavalor.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting. I always think of Europe as the frontrunner of all things modern, new and innovative LOL! I read another one of your responses about Icelandic horses experiencing the reaction to bugs--sweet itch. There is a product that I have used that works well for me called Switch by Cavalor.
haha, maybe the grass is just always greener on the other side, eh? ;)
Anyways, I’m sure on some things we are, but in my honest opinion, really not when it comes to things like these.

Same thing when my mom visits the states, I always make her run the to nearest wallgreens and get a few essentials, that we can’t get anywhere near here.. something as simple as caffeine tablets, is for example completely banned here :b

When I was working in Canada, I got a really bad crick in the neck, something I unfortunately got now and then, and when it was as bad as that, the only thing strong enough to help me out here, was a type of morphine, that I happened to had some leftovers from an old operation - I would NEVER get anything like that normally, only because they were left in the (otherwise really small) package. At a completely normal pharmacy, I got some painkillers in Edmonton, and was told to probably “go a bit easy” if I wasn’t used to them. I took half the normal dose, and definitely couldn’t feel my neck, or anything else on my body for that matter, for 12 hours, lol!

I know if the product contains something (wether for humans or horses for that matter) that isn’t legal back here, obviously I’m not gonna sell them, but I just feel that because of all these restrictions, the entire “mentality” about products and whatever their purpose is a bit off here, and we kinda miss out on a lot of great things too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.