The Horse Forum banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
'Horse Thoughts'
This will be an addition to my online personal journals as well as somewhat of a continuation of my HorseForum journal. It's about time I really focused on this passion in this life and not have it muddled down by other things going on in other journals.
This will be the first entry!:
__

I've never really had a "dream breed" of horse. The closest I get now is my like for thoroughbreds after having ridden several. I know their feet tend to be poor, they are sometimes downhill... but something about them settles well with me. That said, if I were to create a dream breed, it most certainly would have to be a TB cross of sorts. I can't say appendix because i'm not truly a quarter horse fan. Warmblood seems nice and very common to cross with but i'm unsure. I've seen friesian TB crosses, and Spanish/Iberian crosses and my heart just gravitates towards them. Of course, with so many crosses, i'll have to do my research!

I've always imagined falling in love with a plain ol horse and as stated at the beginning, never had a dream breed(s).... perhaps until now. I am just riding for the journey, no major goals. I don't need some proven breed. But something to "fix" the TB issues would be pretty ideal. Even more ideal: nice movement and a willing personality. People search for breeds all the time-- maybe I was afraid of the idea or what that would entail.

There's also a chance in the future that I might simply walk away with a horse that's none of these things as well. It's very exciting to think about but more distant in the future (we shall see!).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
On sunday I rode teddy. He started off lazy as expected from him, but when he gets going he's a really nice horse. I find his canter very easy to sit, so I practiced trot-canter transitions and over cavaletti polls.

It was a really nice day, I wish I could've stayed but I had somewhere else to be afterwards. It made me nostalgic for days in the past where I'd be at the barn at all hours (and pretty much was within walking distance of it). I bring this up often but it was a very important time in my life. That said, i'm sure i'll continue to have many more 'adventures'.

Next week I won't have a lesson as i'll be away. I'll be with my grandparents whom I haven't seen in a while. Luckily my grandfather shares a horsey passion as I do--I owe it to him!

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
I'll be with my grandparents whom I haven't seen in a while. Luckily my grandfather shares a horsey passion as I do--I owe it to him!
Love that! My grandfather, after returning from WWII, went on to manage a country Agway feed store in his small town in upstate NY. Although my grandparents lived in the village and didn't have livestock they did nurture my love of horses by letting me pick a Breyer from the store every time I visited them. Sadly my grandfather died before I owned my own horses, but when I go buy feed and shavings from an Agway store, I think how tickled he would have been to see me go there every week for my real horses. Everyone in my family always thought I'd grow out of horses long after those Breyers were packed away, but I think he knew it wasn't just a phase.

Have fun on your visit!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I'll be with my grandparents whom I haven't seen in a while. Luckily my grandfather shares a horsey passion as I do--I owe it to him!
Love that! My grandfather, after returning from WWII, went on to manage a country Agway feed store in his small town in upstate NY. Although my grandparents lived in the village and didn't have livestock they did nurture my love of horses by letting me pick a Breyer from the store every time I visited them. Sadly my grandfather died before I owned my own horses, but when I go buy feed and shavings from an Agway store, I think how tickled he would have been to see me go there every week for my real horses. Everyone in my family always thought I'd grow out of horses long after those Breyers were packed away, but I think he knew it wasn't just a phase.

Have fun on your visit!
And i'm sure he'd be very proud and happy for you! I'm sorry for your loss.
It is definitely relatable having a family that sees horses as a phase- even more so depending on the expenses haha!
But with a passion so strong, anything is possible (and of course, through budgeting and time). Too bad i'm sometimes a tad impatient in everything, heh!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Here we are- A page from the journal~
--
I had a dream of buying a horse (which isn’t the norm for me, usually it’s riding, if I’m to have any equine dreams at all!). A woman pulled up with a trailer with a beaming smile and I greeted her back. She took out two horses- well, a horse and a pony, which confused me at first. The grey pony was way too small for me. She then walked a larger horse out of the trailer- a fleabitten TB cross she explained, but she didn’t say what she was crossed with. The horse had heavier bones a standard TB and her face was a bit broader as well.

She rode her around the arena for me and then I tried her. She was responsive, but a little…’clunky’/heavy-hoofed. You’d think in a dream the horse would be “perfect”- regardless, I really liked her. The dream skipped to me filling out paperwork and discussing things like vet care, farriers to contact and her price which was at the 2k range…I forget the exact number since I’m writing this later in the morning but it was fresh in my mind when I woke up. It was a pretty neat dream I think. A nice ‘what if’. I think I might draw her (I remember her head clearest, her body was sound but I have since lost the details of what exactly her body type was. I could’ve perhaps identified what this dream horse was crossed with). Maybe my friends over on the horse forum could make some fun guesses.

I drew her to the best of my current ability..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Oh, totally cool. Wouldn't it be amazing if your first horse actually turned out to be a flea bitten part thoroughbred with a distinctive head like that?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Oh, totally cool. Wouldn't it be amazing if your first horse actually turned out to be a flea bitten part thoroughbred with a distinctive head like that?

It would be interesting indeed. Funnily enough I'm not really into greys, but sometimes the best horses come in the "Wrong" color haha

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
---rant---

Getting through some serious emotional turmoils of last week and managing. I've decided to cut back on my riding lessons (every other week), as they are too expensive to be largely unfulfilling. Simply put, i'm tired of dead legged lesson horses, and I can no longer seem to have pick of the morning. I'll be using that money to save up for a new car and future horse pursuits.
Trying to find joy doing my other hobbies. It's... not the same, but it helps from feeling completely void. Rough week..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Awww, so sorry. I hope things get better for you. Can you find a more compatible lesson barn?
I think i've hopped around enough honestly but truth be told, I stay because i've been there for a while and it still serves as a barn meet-up spot for my friends. They give us a lot of leeway (some barns around here do not allow you to groom a horse without a lesson, for example).

..I just had to get that rant out though..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
This past weekend I went on a bike trail at Shirley Chisolm park. Wish I could've enjoyed the bike trail more...it's very nice scenery wise and weather wise, but my bike insisted on giving me issues (gears were messed up) and I overexerted myself a few times just trying to get the thing at a decent pace. Hopped on my mothers bike just to make sure and yep, it was definitely an issue with mine. Hopefully I can get a better bike next go around.. or perhaps get my own.

At times I was frustrated and exhausted* but couldn't let the frustrations pull the day down. It's like trail riding and renting a horse. Although I want to relax and have fun, sometimes I get a horse that wants to spook, bolt and act up. I can handle them but sheesh, i'd like to relax on a trail ha..

On a different note- I forgot I had a drawstring bag I got from the IHSA zones. It serves as a nice reminder I guess that even if i'm frustrated with my riding now, there's always potential and i'm still the same rider I was regardless.
This week has been a challenge..

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I did have a good lesson during the weekend at my usual place. Mainly because I was riding a horse i'm pretty used to and he's no slow poke. We actually got to go over a few crossrails which I haven't really done in several weeks!

*I was more focused on the canter though- as I feel that's what I want to practice and experience more. Luckily for me Kyle is a very forward horse so I could keep my focus on the task at hand (cavaletti patterns) and my position. Ironically this is the horse I always fell off of jumping with- and I saw for the first time on the card next to his nameplate that he needed a martingale. I could've told them that lol. But lucky me- I didn't take a tumble this time!

I got a pretty nice surprise from a family member who paid for my lesson out of nowhere (or rather sent me the money for one), so that was a nice gesture...Other than that, my 'barn' friend and I were looking up other places to trail at. We settled on a place closer to where our current barn is. We also talked about possible group lessons (which this place offers), not to mention their private lessons give more time for a few bucks more...I said I wouldn't hop barns again, even partially..but circumstances might make me curious. We wanted to trail there anyway. So at some point i'll get a look at the place.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Your pictures look lovely. I did not know there were areas like that to ride a bike in NY. I have only visited once and felt very overwhelmed, as I do in most large cities, so did not get to explore it much. That's pretty cool that you can go for a bike ride with your mother (mine never learned to ride a bike and now she is 74 and unlikely to ever learn).

I wish I looked half as well put together on a horse as you do!

I hope the new place to do trail rides and potentially lessons turns out well.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
@MeditativeRider

Thank you! Those are from the video my trainer took! The trail did turn out nice but it's a bit of a wild story that i'll post in full in a short bit here.
I'm sorry to hear about your mother.. are you two close?
@whisperbaby22

I appreciate that compliment! I like riding this horse for flatwork!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 · (Edited)
So. Sunday. Where to begin...

Sunday was an all day 'horsey' day as my friend and I were going to a new trail place, and I had a lesson before that. The lesson went relatively okay... the horses have a bit more energy due to the change of seasons but the head tossing faux crow hopping freshness freaks me out- *but* I did push past it!

*I had some time before heading to the trail barn, but due to a crazy cyclist event and traffic, we actually missed our appointment by 20 minutes! We waited for the next group which tagged along three newbies to horse riding. All went smoothly halfway into the trail, the weather was nice, we were going up some decent hilly pathways when all of a sudden we hear something crashing through the trees. I see the smaller chestnut pony barreling through the forest, nearly charging for our group a few times before running off. Of course all our horses get antsy.

Surprisingly, the kid fell off his pony but was totally okay and not fazed at all, wow! The pony came back to the group and after some discussion of how we're going to lead the riderless horse back, the guide turns to me in a very "I believe in you" moment. The kid and I switched horses as she was really calm. The trail guide was so sorry,* he said the pony was spooked as he was a saint on trails normally.

We were headed back which took us about 20 minutes and we dismounted at the barn. He told my friend and I to come back next week for a private trail instead (given our experience). We'll hold him to it. I'm pretty drained today, but it was far from a bad day! Just highly interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sounds like an interesting ride. I hope you actually get your freebie out of it (I once got offered a free lesson after a nightmare of a "lesson" where I showed up and there was no instructor as the assigned instructor was busy taking a trail ride scheduled at the same time [not her fault the guy in charge arranged it all]. Also pretty much no horse as the horse I had been meant to ride had been ridden until completely dripping with sweat by the person before me who rode an hour over time, unsupervised (again no instructor), and all at trot/canter. Oh and had ridden the horse right through its break for drink/food. So I was told I could have a free lesson later [I had prepaid] but I never went back as the lack of organization did not appeal).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
@whisperbaby22
That pony actually looks like one of the horses that had kept me going during college emotionally and mentally (when I was in a dark place), so seeing the familiarity was really refreshing! Unfortunately that horse had died of colic right before I went to a lesson. I remember being excited to see him after my lesson...

@MeditativeRider
Oh goodness, that sounds awfully unorganized! That is not fair to you or that horse at all!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
(repost from the lovely trail thread)
Forgot to touch base here so i'll do so briefly:

The trail was much better this time around and the weather was perfect for it! I forgot to put my tracker on, and I wish I had as we got turned around many times. There was a lot of leaf litter obscuring the paths. We went up and down some pretty interesting hills, through narrow paths and winding through the forests to see if we could find the main trail again. I certainly didn't mind as it was a private trail (no real time restraint).

oh and although it's a day after halloween I should mention... the road and woods around this area (sweet hollow) are supposedly extremely haunted. Driving through it was a bit creepy i'll admit. But the trail was perfect!
----
I do have some not so lovely news to follow:
I am taking a bit of a riding break. No consistent lessons. It took a while for me to get to this point. I don't want to stop but right now, the cons outweigh the pros and I would like to be in a better position when I start back up (which might not be for quite a while).

Attachments

101 - 120 of 132 Posts