The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoot came to us a year ago under complicated circumstances. He came off the trailer from Montana literally half dead, exhausted, under weight, with viral and bacterial infections, and a temp of 104.

What a difference a year, high quality hay, rice bran, good vet and dental care, lots of love, consistency and riding makes!

He is still a goofball, though!

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Last year at this time was so stressful, with Salty's eye, and then Hoot arriving in terrible condition. It was so overwhelming and disconcerting. We even paid for a consult with an equine attorney. I'm glad it worked out and we put forth the time, money and effort to get them both healthy and happy.

Our trusted trainer told us, at different times, to put them both on a trailer and send them back to the horse trader sellers. I'm glad we didn't, because Hoot is the best horse we could have found for my daughter.

Salty and I are headed for a 2 hour mini clinic at a 3-day horse expo tomorrow. Instead of being nervous, I'm looking forward to showing off my beautiful, brave, athletic one-eyed wonder horse!

Truly, what a difference a year makes!

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
...can you feel his ribs easily? He just seems very over in condition to me, for the frame he has, as seen in the first photo. I then hear an ambulance siren going off in my head re increased risk of laminitis, metabolic syndrome etc.

Other than that concern, how nice that this horse now has caring owners.

Have fun at the show! :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...can you feel his ribs easily? He just seems very over in condition to me, for the frame he has, as seen in the first photo. I then hear an ambulance siren going off in my head re increased risk of laminitis, metabolic syndrome etc.

Other than that concern, how nice that this horse now has caring owners.

Have fun at the show! :)
You can feel his ribs, but he definitely needs to work a little harder and could build a little muscle. He looks rotund in that photo -- I think because of the flat evening light not showing his muscles. This one is a better shot from a month ago.

Thanks! We get to ride in an exhibition with a local riding celebrity, Randy Helm, who started the prison mustang training program in Arizona.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts