The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are a few of the quirky behaviors you horse has developed? One of mine eats ice like candy. Another always sleeps with his tongue out. Alright, your turn.:lol:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Have 2 mares{mother & daughter} that both inherited a quirk of their dam/grandam:) when they want something usually food/grain they put head down & twirl it around:lol:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
If my mare wants in she wants in. She'll plow through fences/gates to just stand in the barn aisle (never goes anywhere else). If you open the gate, point to the barn and tell her "go on nag" she'll walk right into the barn and wait for you to open her stall. She also likes her chin scratched whenever you put a bridle on (but only does it with me).

My gelding dive bombs his head to take his bit. All you have to do is open the bridle and he does the rest. He also loves being talked to. If your not talking, back his ears go and you're in trouble.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I taught my horse to smile, and now whenever hes a little nervous he will start smiling whenever my hand moves...When I moved him last month, I was grooming him in the cross ties and he was a little nervous being at the new place and all the new horses around him...I would reach up to fix my hair, or scratch my head and he'd smile soooooooooooo big. Sometimes he will start smiling if my hand goes anywhere near my pocket too haha it can be pretty cute until I'm trying to pet him and he wont stop smiling :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
My mare is SOOO picky. Here are her steps for eating her high quality hay: step 1-swirl her nose around in the hay that is in the manger so she makes craters.step 2- eat the "best parts". Step 3-dive her nose in and FLING the rest across the barn. Rinse, repeat. Then when she runs out of hay, she gives you big sad eyes until you pick it all back up and let her do it again.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Mine stands sideways in the aisle...always. I usually either ground tie him or just use one cross tie so people can pass more easily. Apparently my horse disagrees with making things easy, so he insists on standing sideways and taking up the whole aisle. Goofball.

Also, if I don't go to his paddock to get him immediately upon him seeing me, I get my head ripped off by his whinnies of impatience. Heaven forbid I take a few minutes to set up some jumps before our ride. "No mom, you must come and fetch me this instant, period". It's a good thing he's so cute because he is certainly short on patience.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When my guy is upset he throws is head back in this twirl sequence. It seems like he'd get dizzy but nope.

He also does a cat stretch sometimes, though I've heard other horses do this too.

When he's bored in his stall he stretches out his head and starts chewing and turning his head from side to side. It looks ridiculous!

Yeah...that's all I can think of for now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
^my mare has done that.once I went to catch her and was leading her to my car to saddle her, and she stopped dead, stretched her left hind out behind her, and then leaned all her her weight on it till it popped. She looked satisfied afterwards lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Oh dear, haha... well,

She walks and trots with her head up in the air sometimes. Never when I have her in a halter, but when she's out in the pasture she'll just randomly walk with it straight up. Like this:

She dunks her hay in water. Like she will pick up a mouthful, put it in her water bucket, then take it out and eat it. I have to clean her water bucket. every. day. Apparently this is genetic because her daddy did it as well.

She will not roll in the mud. I think I have only seen her roll twice in her life. But even on the muddiest days, she will come in completely clean (except for her feets).

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
One of my horses unties himself, and horses around him! :mad: sure is cute until he is high tailing it across the show grounds.. Or eating the grass next to the trailer..

My mare walks around the pasture throwing her head, which looks like she is saying "fabbbbulouuuussss!"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rosie has a habit of just watching me, thus her nicknames "Dorkhorse" or "Creeperhorse." While doing chores around the barn, she has to have her eyes on me at all times. God forbid I pet any horse that isn't her!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Annie licks after you give her a treat of any kind. She'll lick walls, people, the floor, doors, anything. Just stand there with her eyes half closed....lick, lick, lick, lick.......

Tobys quirk isn't cute >:/ my fiance letshim run his head against his body, he tries it with me and nearly pushes me over. He gets a good smack on the nose for it, but sure enough, df comes out to the barn and it's the same all over. Grrr.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
If a new person, or someone my horse hasn't seen in awhile get near him, he sniffs their backs (or butts, lol) and lifts up his top lip. He embarrasses me so badly!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Max always twirls his head after he has rolled or when he is really really happy/content. And after the bridle comes off he must itch his right eye on his leg. If I don't give him the chance to- I become his scratch post. And if I won't be his scratch post- he gives me the evil eye- scrunched up muzzle and all. Until I let him itch. Then he twirls his head because he is happy.

Silly horses.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sonny licks me. Or anyone else. For no particular reason. He licks your boots and works his way up your body. If you stand there long enough he'll lick every inch of your body from your toes to your forehead.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My horse has a reputation for being the barn grouch. He is a good boy, he's never aggressive or misbehaved, he's seen the vet and is perfectly healthy... he just scowls all the time. We lovingly call him "Grumpy Cat".

He also makes the cutest/weirdest noises when it's time for breakfast. It's like a super quiet whinny that turns into a low pitched nicker. He will do it over and over until I feed him. I've never heard another horse make the same sound, it's adorable!

He has a lot of little personality quirks, but those two are my favorite.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
My Arab is incapable of staying clean. Ever. Regardless of weather. It could be 119F outside and has not rained in months and she would be covered in mud. Not from rolling in a pee stop and not from being sweaty and rolling. If she can find something to role in that is putrid she WILL find it -_-'. Im only blanketing her this winter just to TRY to keep her clean (i have to at least rince her once a week to get all the dirt/mud she finds off). The Blanket WAS blue....

She also has this thing about change of texture/color in the pavement or sidewalk. She wont walk on it and thinks she will die if she steps on it. Same issue with paint on the ground lol! I bet I could save on fencing and just paint a square around her XD!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Gen (TWH) blows bubbles in the stock tank and will eat holes straight into a round bale up to his eyes.

Rory (Grade Arab? cross) will step inside the stock tank with his two front legs and splash around.

Hank (Mini Donk) sometimes sits down on his butt, like a dog.

Buddy (Mule) will follow perfectly after giving his halter a little tug or just calling him, but acts like a total moron on a lead rope.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My coming 3 year old mini donk will not stand for the farrier unless you have an apple. All I have to do is hold it in my hand & by the time he's finished, so is the farrier.
His other quirk is woodshavings. Before I can open the bag, he's pawing & rolling on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My mare will now pull out my farrier's tools from her back pocket, such a naughty pony!
She will not canter straight away unless you say to her 'Are you ready?', luckily we aren't into dressage. I think she likes to prepare herself for the next gear, haha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.