The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ice has these dark spots all over his body. Still has winter coat yet not totally shed out. Not dirty marks either. Saw a few of these spots last year but not to the degree they are now. The spots in third pic some are darker some lighter. All spots appearing to be black colored.

The few spots last year were In his summer coat. And they appeared in the spring an never disappeared.

The spots aren't the color of his summer coat. He golden palomino. He's registered AQHA so pure bred.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Those are color spots coming out from someone in his lineage. Rusty was a solid sorrel until he was around 20 and one of his foundation sires, named Roan Allen, started showing up in his coat:)

Hopefully someone who understands genetic color codes will comment.

Also while his papers say one thing, he may be someone else, OR someone on his papers may be someone else.

Thise almost look like Leopard Appaloosa spots coming out:):)

I have heard stories for years of the wrong papers getting put on a horse, by intent or otherwise; it happens in every breed.

I will be anxious to hear what the color experts think:)

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No he's out of sire and dam listed on papers he was DNA tested. So no changing of papers or info. I know I payed to get him registered an DNA tested. Only papers I got was breeders certificate that was signed. Previous owner never sent in paper work.

·
Super Moderator
12,462 Posts
Grease spots, bend or, smut, smudge....someone passed along a sooty factor that is just now coming out possibly. One of the stallions we used was what some call chocolate palomino he was so dark all over - between milk and dark chocolate bars. We've had everything from all over a few shades lighter to heavy shading on just parts that spread slowly to intense dappling. Our last out of that line just has random spots of different sizes.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did some research on dam side there's a some sooty palominos. His dam was palomino lighter gold color.

The sooty palominos they are 3 generations back one is 4 generations back in pedigree.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Interesting . I have seen appys with those types of spots. lol. I saw that your horse is AQHA, but way back in the quarter horse lines is a horse called Old App. lol.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm interesting never seen old App anywhere way back in his pedigree. There's thoroughbred quite a bit of thoroughbred breeding.

Sire side has a lot of old time foundation lines way back in pedigree.
On sire side ice has continental king on his papers.

·
Super Moderator
12,462 Posts
Bend Or is the name of a TB that the spot is named after. Sooty is suspected to come from multiple factors and they haven't determined a gene or set of genes for it. Unless some new research has come along.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts