The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Read Only
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who's been reading my threads knows that I've done a lot of threads like this, but I can't help myself. I like to see other peoples opinions and how they are different from mine, and plus I'm bored as heck.

My favorite is either a Mustang or a Quarter Horse. I've met both and they've seemed pretty sweet, but I guess you can't judge a whole breed on just two or three horses.

My least favorite that I've met is the Appaloosa. I've met two and they've both been butt holes. But one is a mare who has a reputation for being mean (hi, Molly) and the other I just don't seem to get along with. Appearance wise, it'd have to be a Marwari horse. The way their ears are either touching each other or close too is not for me. Sorry, Marwari lovers. I'm sure they're nice horses.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
My favorite breed is the Morgan but I am partial to any sensible smallish breed. I don't have a least favorite; the large majority of poor behavior in any breed is caused by human beings.

·
Premium Member
23,898 Posts
I guess you've got no replies because like me, people aren't 'stuck' on particular breeds here. I can't say I have a favourite breed, or a least favourite, but some of the breeds I particularly like are Arabs, Morgans, Friesians, Standies, Clydies, Shires(& basically virtually all heavies), Gypsies(some) Akhal Teke, Paints and Appaloosas. Mostly due to their looks, but common temperament of some of those breeds - such as Arabs, Morgans, Standies, also come into it.

Of the breeds I least like, modern QH's would probably be top of the list. Warmbloods & TB's, shetlands & minis, and horses with Roman noses are among my less favoured.

My least favorite that I've met is the Appaloosa. I've met two and they've both been butt holes. But one is a mare who has a reputation for being mean (hi, Molly) and the other I just don't seem to get along with.
Yeah, glad you realise it's not rational to have this 'racism', esp based on so little experience. It's like being racist against... French people, because you met one or 2 rude ones. There are indeed different 'breed trait' temperaments in horses - eg. Arabs tend to be smarter, quicker & more sensitive, less tolerant of 'fools' than some breeds - but if a horse is a 'butthole' then it's due to the way it's been handled/trained, not genetics.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Favorite by far is Icelandic horses. They are beautiful, intelligent, powerful, fast, tough, surefooted, and smooth horses that are extremely versatile and can do just about everything. I know Icelandics that do everything from western disciplines, pace racing, endurance, jumping, dressage, and other stuff too. They are all very unique horses and each have their own personalities and often own coloration (though black and red are the most common colors, they come in over 100 different colors). If you are not familiar with the breed, the fb page, "Horses of Iceland" has many fantastic pictures.
(I attached some pictures also, though the horses are not mine).

My least favorite breed is the Quarter horse. They are a bit boring, slow, not particularly beautiful, and everyone has one. In general, they are just kind of bland. I don't really like their conformation, and as a breed they can have quite a few health issues. I am not interested in Western disciplines, and I don't really have a use for them. That isn't to say they are bad horses. I know many people who love them and they wouldn't have been able to have gotten so popular if they weren't good horses, they are just not for me. I also don't like Friesians much because of their short lifespan, they aren't particularly good at anything, and they have so many health issues. They are very majestic looking horses, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Honestly, before I rode Icelandic horses, I didn't have a favorite breed. Some breeds I like more than most are Arabians, Andalusians, Lusitanos, Rocky Mountain horses, Fjords, and Mustangs.

·
Read Only
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I guess you've got no replies because like me, people aren't 'stuck' on particular breeds here. I can't say I have a favourite breed, or a least favourite, but some of the breeds I particularly like are Arabs, Morgans, Friesians, Standies, Clydies, Shires(& basically virtually all heavies), Gypsies(some) Akhal Teke, Paints and Appaloosas. Mostly due to their looks, but common temperament of some of those breeds - such as Arabs, Morgans, Standies, also come into it.

Of the breeds I least like, modern QH's would probably be top of the list. Warmbloods & TB's, shetlands & minis, and horses with Roman noses are among my less favoured.

Yeah, glad you realise it's not rational to have this 'racism', esp based on so little experience. It's like being racist against... French people, because you met one or 2 rude ones. There are indeed different 'breed trait' temperaments in horses - eg. Arabs tend to be smarter, quicker & more sensitive, less tolerant of 'fools' than some breeds - but if a horse is a 'butthole' then it's due to the way it's been handled/trained, not genetics.
Molly is just a mean, hot-headed mare. I think that's just her personality.

I have only met Tawny three times. The first time, he had a foot injury from stepping on a nail and it got infected. The second time he was a little better. The third time he was hungry and about to get fed so he was pinning his ears back at everyone that got near him. He was starting to resemble Molly.

I've heard of some good Appaloosas being really friendly and such so I know not to judge the breed too much.

I don't like roman nosed horses either. Not the prettiest in my opinion.

I'll change the name of the thread to make it suitable for you to have more than one opinion. I couldn't choose either.

Appaloosas sure are beautiful though. :)

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
My favorite is a quarter horse and I don't have a least favorite. I think every breed has it's own beauty and talents it's just that quarter horses are most suited to what I want in a horse. Currently own quarters, paints (with mainly QH breeding) and minis but in the past have also hade a grade pony, a few spotted saddle horses, a couple of Tennessee Walkers and a Thoroughbred (was hubby's horse). Got along the least with the TB but it was the horse not the breed. Dumbest horse I ever met. He would step to the other side of the trail just to trip over a rock. He could never learn where he was supposed to go at feeding time not even after years of eating at the same feeder. And he could never understand go away signals from my mare and when she got fed up with him hanging on her (literally, he had to be touching her) out in the pasture she'd kick the crap out of him and when she was done he'd come right back for more, to the point that his hide would be shredded and I finally had to separate them.

One time a friend was ranting about how stupid and clumsy this horse was that one of her boarders was leasing. She called him by a different name so it wasn't until she said the leaser's name that I figured out it was hubby's old horse. We died laughing exchanging war stories about dealing with him. I was just glad there wasn't 2 horses that were that "special". LOL But, and isn't there always a but, he was outstanding at his job on the horse patrol when he was hubby's and this girl was leasing him from the girl who bought him from us (they were best friends so that's how I'd heard her name even though I didn't know her) because she'd been badly injured by another horse and he was a confidence builder. His last job was working as a therapy horse at Purdue University.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I reaaaaally don’t like Lippizaners. We have a glut of them here. They are fidgety, I have only met one that was capable of standing still. They are not really spooky - they are antsy. Most of them tend to sway backs. They have stubby feet. I can literally recognize a Lipizzaner by its feet. They have a strange build, like piglets. In a similar thread someone commented that I am most probably seeing bad breeding and they were most likely correct. But I’ve been to one of the original breeding farms and I wasn’t particularly impressed with the approved breeding stock either. I’ve met exactly one Lippizan that I liked, looks wise and riding wise (and standing still wise).

My favorite hands down is TB but my riding isn’t good enough to own one. I love riding other people’s well trained TBs though.

I love looking at Friesians but I know they have a lot of health issues. There was a lady at our yard who did dressage with a Friesian stallion - mesmerizing. I spent many hours just watching her schooling this beautiful animal, even if they were just working at a walk.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Favorite:

Close tie between Driftwood bred Quarter Horses and Cutters of the Highbrow Cat line.

Want:

Azteca. Cool breed, want to know more.

Least:

Close tie between what people have done to Quarter horses and Arabians in the show world.

·
Registered
522 Posts
When it comes to horse breeds, I try to practice being an open minded person. I do have my favorites of course, the Friesian being #1.

Rather than disliking the breed, surprisingly, I have not had good luck with QHs. They seem to be more prone to aggression than what I am comfortable with...to both humans and other horses.

Reactions: 289134

·
Read Only
32 Posts
My least favorite that I've met is the Appaloosa. I've met two and they've both been butt holes. But one is a mare who has a reputation for being mean (hi, Molly) and the other I just don't seem to get along with.
HAHAHAHAHA! I totally get what you are saying! I've only known a few appaloosas growing up (friends owned them). When I got back into horses one of the places I looked at boarding my first horse had a appaloosa mare, when I met the "herd" I have never felt so judged by a horse as I did when I met that little appy mare. I kept one eye on her the rest of the time I was touring the boarding facility and no matter where I was IF I was in sight of the herd she always had an eye on me. I actually just bought my first Appaloosa 2 weeks ago, NOT because she is a appaloosa, just because our personalities clicked, her personality fits and rounds out my herd, and she's perfect for what I want to do.

Its hard to describe so I'm going to try based on my observations and what my friends used to tell me: ALL the appaloosas I have met are more like guard dogs, my mare included. Suspicious (or even aggressive) with strangers, always on guard, bond to one person, follow that person like a dog, wild with a good work ethic, and can be trouble makers, for example my mare likes to whip the herd into a frenzy just for the heck of it.

Personally I really like those traits and I'm really happy with how my new appy mare rounds out my herd. She's the shot of Whiskey they needed. 🤣

·
Read Only
32 Posts
My least favorite breeds are Friesans, QHs and dish faced Arabians. I just don't see what the fuss is all about with Friesans, I don't find them interesting or beautiful. Too many QHs in my area so I find QHs boring and I don't like QHs bred to have the extremely short necks. I know I know, it serves a purpose but they just look cartoonish to me. And I can't stand the arabians with the severely dished faces.

My favorite breed is Standardbreds. I love the ones with the slight roman nose, wide foreheads, and tall lean bodies (16HH+). I love how they move IRL: like ballet dancers with power and grace.

Lastly I would say turkomans and hackneys as faves.

·
104 Posts
I find it hard to choose favorites but I really like cutting line quarter horses and Arabians. What I really don’t particularly care for are minis, all the ones I’ve met (and the one my family owns) are all evil little beasts. I wish we never got our mini, my sister outgrew her in less than a year and now she just bites and kicks us. To me they serve no purpose. I’m sure there are nice minis but even then I personally still wouldn’t like them. Sorry mini lovers

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My favorite breeds are the "pleasure" breeds - Arabians, Morgans, Saddlebreds, etc etc. I realy would like to own a Thoroughbred in the future, specifcally an OTTB, but since I haven't had first-hand experience with one yet, I can't list as a favorite breed (but I'm sure I will enjoy them and their versatility!). I also have enjoyed a variety of gaited breeds - Paso Fino's, Tennessee Walker's, Missouri Fox Trotters, Rocky Mountains... I don't think there is a single person that won't have a smile on their face on a good gaited horse. I would also love to own an Appaloosa (preferably a cross with a TB or something lighter and sporty) because I am a sucker for a leopard or black-based blanket (though my only experience with a black-based blanket was a psychotic, explosive bucker).

I don't hate any breeds, necessarily, but there are breeds that I just won't own for my personal use (however, if SO someday says he wants xyz, he will get xyz!).

One of the two Friesians I've been around was a nasty example of the breed (and he came with a stereotypical nutty, overbearing, awful owner!). The Friesian stud (who is pretty big around here) was a nasty horse, and pinned me against the wall of his stall when I filled his water one day. I never entered that stall again, even though I have the experience to correct the behavior, the crazy owner would lose her mind if her precious Friesian were to be hit or corrected in any way.

I also do not prefer the big, everyone-owns-one "stock" breeds, QH's, paints, etc etc. They just don't suit my preferences or goals. I have ridden a true western-pleasure, big QH, and it was an absolute blast, but not my everyday cup o' tea. I do appreciate certain disciplines with-in the stock breed community, especially the working cow-horse discipline, I consider it the western-sister of my preferred discipline, eventing. I, however, hate the futurity aspect of stock breed disciplines (I recognize the issue with-in TB racing and pleasure breed competition, too).

Reactions: All About Hope

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think my favorite Breed is the Marwari because i think their just so unique.Also i like the peruvian horse they are really smooth to ride and i like the rest to.But i like camargue horses but i love to ride them just bossy because i ride one for my riding lessons he kicks and he has anxiety so every show he runs towards the the dutch warmblood (hes the leader) and he fast canters but he went into gallop with me.Also i was sitting on him bareback and he reared and bucked with me i didn't fall off though.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
My favorite breed would have to be an American Quarter Horse. I love these horses cause they are pretty much good for anything. They are super sure-footed and level-headed. They are calm and good for a beginner. I also like that they have 'cow-sense' because I live on a farm and I feel like that would be very helpful. I am also very interested in barrel racing, and AQH are known for barrel racing.

My least favorite breed would also be an American Quarter Horse. I know, it makes no sense. But my favorite is a foundation Quarter horse, while my least favorite is an appendix Quarter horse.

I think that it is stupid that people keep breeding AQH with TB to get a faster horse. If you want a fast horse go buy a TB! AQH weren't supposed to be fast, they were bred to be sturdy and fast over short periods of time. Hence their name, the Quarter Horse.

I also really like Clydesdales. They are just so big and yet so friendly and calm. I see one regularly and she is just so cute and calm, nad friendly. I love her.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
I'm biased for sure, but my favorite breed is definitely the Thoroughbred, preferably an OTTB. :) All I've ever ridden, minus a few QH here & there when I first started riding. We just didn't mesh as well. & I feel like all the OTTB's I've ridden/worked with, even my own horse now, they are just so much more sensitive & a lot more in tune, & I just love that about them. Like my horse definitely chose me as her person & there's no doubt about it. She's my heart horse. I love their minds & how smart they are. They don't take any nonsense but they can be so willing & have so much try in them. Especially for their 'person'. They're so fun to bond with & train. Once you gain their trust...the rest is history. I just love them! 😍

I don't really have a least favorite breed...although I'm not really a fan of QH's, Arabians or Saddlebreds. Just not my type I guess! LOL. Not knocking any of them, we all just have our preferences. :)

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
My least favorite that I've met is the Appaloosa. I've met two and they've both been butt holes.
Trooper is part Arabian and part Appy. He's not real sociable but in the 12 years we've had him, he's never betrayed a rider. I can't think of a single ride in all that time where he didn't make a good-faith effort:

Siblings of the same mix have worked on a friend's ranch. I think their looks are fantastic:

My favorites are Arabians and Mustangs. But that describes most of what I've owned....

·
Read Only
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trooper is part Arabian and part Appy. He's not real sociable but in the 12 years we've had him, he's never betrayed a rider. I can't think of a single ride in all that time where he didn't make a good-faith effort:

Siblings of the same mix have worked on a friend's ranch. I think their looks are fantastic:

My favorites are Arabians and Mustangs. But that describes most of what I've owned....
Trooper's beautiful :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts