The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on Warmbloods for jumping? Do you think they make excellent, good, or okay jumpers? I'm thinking of getting one, but I need a horse that can go big places, jump high, etc. I think they're really good jumpers (also depends on the horse). But I'm just looking for more opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Most warmbloods are going to be good jumpers...which version, hunter or jumper, would depend upon attitude (assuming jump ability is already present). The horse I just bought was trained full dressage up until abut 18 months ago when the new owner was looking for a GP jumper prospect. The horse has the ability but not the power or attitude to be a jumper..he would prefer the hunter ring and was only trained, off and on, to jump...he was never shown as a hunter or jumper.

As for me, he is going back to dressage.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yup, many higher level jumpers are a breed of warmblood. Actually, a vast majority are. Definitely not saying all would excel, but a lot do.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
162 Posts
II think most good jumpers are warmbloods. Depends on whether the horse likes to jump or not. And how forward they are.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Most of the best jumpers in the world are Warmbloods.

However, they're rather popular and due to many people and amateur studs getting into breeding Warmbloods their quality really varies. Many are more suitable as low level all rounders. If you want one to go "big places", then you'll probably be looking towards ones specifically bred for that, and who are showing good form over jumps. There are certainly many out there, but they don't come cheap. Judge each horse on it's merit, just because it's a Warmblood doesn't mean that it's going to be a good jumper, or successful, but I think good, successful jumpers are more likely to be Warmbloods than other breeds.

·
Registered
146 Posts
warmbloods can be great jumpers and dressage horses, but if trained they come with a hefty bill. we have a breeders 15 mins from my house and her weanlings cost between $5,000-$10,000.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.