The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a bridle that was no longer needed/wanted, and it came with this bit. Whats it called/used for/how harsh is it etc

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
There is a specific name for that kind of bit but I can't think of what it is. It seems fairly mild. The longer shanks will make it a bit harsher and I would certainly use bit guards to prevent the lips from being pinched by the mobile shanks. The bar with the rollers in the port is designed for a horse who likes to play with the bit (as solid ports don't have much "play"). This is designed to be ridden on a very loose rein. It looks like a WP type bit to me.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
... BTW it seems to be missing the chin strap so you need to install one if you decide to use it. Although the shanks are longish, so is the purchase making the ratio smaller and the bit milder then it looks.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
It looks like a "Quick Bit", which I believe is a certain brand. I have one that looks very similar, just with no rollers in the port. It's a pretty mild bit as far as curb go, though the straight shanks make your cues "louder" than more swept back shanks.

Here's the Quick Bits web site: Welcome to Quick Bits

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.