The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am in the process of buying a quarter horse who is western trained but I am English trained however I want to do both. From reading other forums people are really enthusiastic about it but what bit would I use on an English bridle if he is wearing a Tom Thumb snaffle?? Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
12,723 Posts
I'd ditch the Tom Thumb for a standard snaffle. All the western-trained horses I've met have used them at one time or another. At a guess, I'd say most of the western trained horses I know still do use a standard snaffle.

I've got a ranch raised & trained gelding who behaves the same no matter what bit is put in his mouth. My mare does better in any bit that uses poll pressure, but that seems to be a personality quirk with her - it has nothing to do with English vs Western.

If you want to ride with the horse 'on the bit', you may need to get him used to that. It depends in part on how you define 'on the bit'.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Most trained horses were started in a snaffle, be it English or western. My preference is the loose-ring snaffle with an iron mouth. This is better than stainless as far as the horse is concerned. Fortunately these bits are inexpensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.