The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know what your horse wears in all the phases. I understand you'll be using a different bit for dressage in the upper levels but does it change when you are doing stadium? Cross country? and how about you lower level riders? Do you use the same bit in all three phases? Why or why not?

Cougar wears a loose ring snaffle all the time. He doesn't like any other bit and it shows. So we stick to what fits his mouth best. He rides well in it out doing XC as well as doing his flat work.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
My mare, Blue was always trained in a full cheek, and that's what I ride her in. I ride happy mouth full cheek for flat work, and I use a slow twist full cheek when doing alot of jumping courses, becuase she is a very handsy horse, she is duler to the legs, because when I was training with my bad trainer, she would have me ride more with my hands. ><. I'm trying to fix that now though.

With Geof, whom I event regularly, he uses a loose ring french link for all three, he responds to the lightest tug on his mouth, so we use that and he loves it. He did wear a 3 ring elevator for Training and up XC, but the reins were just on the top and bottem rings.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For Isabelle I use an eggbut snaffle all the time, because she has a soft mouth and listens to her rider like it would kill her if she didn't. My other horse, Bacardi, used to wear a dutch gag because he would bolt on the cross country course and he got a little dangerous. He has improved tremendously and has since graduated up to a loose ring tom thumb snaffle. I was so proud of him : )

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Beau goes in a double-jointed loose ring snaffle for dressage.
For XC & stadium he's in an eggbutt gag (with 2 reins). He turns into a freight train and it gets hard to rock him back on his haunches before a jump.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i put ozzie in a french link egg butt snaffle for dressage and showjumping but cross country he gets a slotted kimblewick with a snaffle mouth on the bottom slot

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Dressage-Full cheek or plain eggbutt
XC & Stadium- Kimberwick or Dr. Bristol.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have no horse ,but my lesson horse ,Jessie, uses an average snaffle and my camp horse ,Bunny, uses an eggbut bit! 0--0 eggbut O--O snaffle o--o loose ring snaffle! I like making bits from the keyboard.lol.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My training level eventer (who is retired now) went in a double jointed snaffle for dressage and an elevator for stadium and cross country. Our last event i put him in a myler combo bit that he loved. Would have continued to use it if he had stayed sound!!

My 5yr OTTB does all 3 phases in a double jointed snaffle.

My sister's prelim horse (who is now my horse since she is going to vet school!) goes in a mullen mouth for dressage and twisted snaffle for jumping phases.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
For Uma, it depends on the level of training she is at. Sometimes, she chooses to be a hard head (usually when just getting back into work) and gets a 3 ring elevator on the second ring. But when she is really into work, she goes fine in a french link O ring. In dressage, it's always a french link O ring

Demi- French link O ring for dressage and a Nathe for XC and Stadium

Ginisee (when she competed)- D ring snaffle in all three

·
Registered
172 Posts
Scooby in dressage - fixed french link snaffle, he loves it. XC + SJ - dutch gag on the main and last holes. We're still working on the whole "you slow down when I tell you to" thing. lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
I compete at BN and Novice level with my Thoroughbred and I've seen all sorts of bits. Some horses can go all three phases in a simple snaffle, which is Great! I think its awesome.

My horse goes in a KK Ultra frenchlink in dressage, and in the jumping phases he uses a kimberwick (we're looking to change this) but some horses go in three different bits.

·
Registered
905 Posts
When I still had my boy, I rode him in a loose-ring french link for all 3 phases.
When I competed my trainer's cold, he had a D-ring snaffle for dressage, a Kimberwick on the first slot for SJ, & the Kimberwick on either slot, depending on how he'd been behaving that day, for CC.

That was several years ago though, I miss competing so much!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.