The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He scratches himself in the field, probably on trees, but he sometimes cuts himself and those cuts scar which looks brutal.. To be honest I don't know why he still scratches then cuts himself because it must hurt but he isn't the smartest fella:-|. Vitamin E and baby oil has been suggested although not yet tried so would be interested to hear your thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
If the wounds are still healing, I found Emu oil works wonders, even for human scars. You wait until its healed up enough that it isn't weeping but still healing and scabby.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Are they really scarring? They can easily take 6 weeks to heal and grow hair. In any case, as they are healing, use plain vaseline to keep the skin supple. That's what we use and what dermatologists and plastic surgeons recommend to reduce any scarring (works for horses, too).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for suggestions :D the scars are visible skin that have no evidence of hair growth, he has had some for a few months

·
Registered
160 Posts
So long as they are not open wounds, I put corona ointment on scrapes. Not sure if it really helps, but I feel like the hair grows back faster when I use this product.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Thanks for suggestions :D the scars are visible skin that have no evidence of hair growth, he has had some for a few months
If they are indeed scars, hair will never grow as scar tissue has no hair follicles and nothing you can do will change that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the scars look like normal skin without hair and are not open try MTG it encourages hair growth. It works really well in my experiences and is pretty cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Some horses are sensitive to MTG (mine will welt up horribly from it,) so try a small spot first and keep the horse out of the sun since the oil-based product could cause sunburn.

I was recently introduced to Silver Wound Spray and like the results on my perpetually scraped up youngster. I have this one:
https://www.smartpakequine.com/equifit-agsilver-wound-spray-6284p

·
Registered
132 Posts
If it's an actual scar, then the hair won't grow back. What I do when my two horses cut themselves, I put Furizone (horse neosporin) on the cut until it's not an open wound or scab any longer, then I put Vaseline on the cut spot until I start seeing new hair growth. It will take a while for you to start seeing that, but it depends on the horse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts