The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about a horse that I knew years ago. He had tall sort of hooves, with heels that may have been too long, according to my memory. The sole was deeply concave, and the frog was the tiniest frog I have ever seen in my life, and deeply recessed into the hoof. Both front hooves were this way, but I don't remember on the back.

I don't remember if the horse was barefoot or shoed, but I want to say that he was barefoot. I think he was a Kiger mustang, or at least was buckskin with the barring. I know one of his parents was mustang.

So have you come across something like what I described? What causes a hoof condition like that - years of incorrect shoeing?
I will continue searching online for a hoof that resembles what I am speaking of. No luck yet.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got this pic off the ELPO website. This is what his feet were like.

·
Super Moderator
13,653 Posts
A recessed frog can come from contracted heels and poor trim of the hoof horn material.
It can also be from a "club foot" shape as clubs create a horse of problems with steep, straight and narrow a hoof to appearances seen.
Why else it would occur, no idea and leave more information of that sort to the true hoof gurus to help you with.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Super Moderator
22,838 Posts
Ditto to what HLG said. contracted heels/frogs due to too long/high feet. Not necessarily due to bad shoeing. Barefoot horses are not immune to probs of the sort either. While some types tend to go 'splat' when not managed well - eg TBs & drafts - others can just get... cone shaped, more upright, platform shoes - eg ponies, arabs.

The hoof you pictured also looks to be(bit of a guess with only that pic) low or neg. palmer angle - ground surface of P3 is level with the ground or lower in the heel, rather than raised slightly caudally. Doesn't look like the heel of the frog is 'recessed' but the toe is.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Some breeds like Saddlebreds and some Morgans are trimmed to have tall, conical hooves on purpose to create artificial gaits.
This also leads to deep, retained sole and tiny, recessed frogs.
I've ridden out with these horses and they can go over anything barefoot. They do risk injuring tendons very easily due to the torque from unnatural angles and loss of traction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts