The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a different horse this time. Her name is Hope and she is a QH mare that was rescued from a kill pen. I thought she might be a bay but she has this tint to her. I don't know if she's clipped or not so that may be what is throwing me off. Any ideas?
1607367594492.png
That's the only picture I have but keep in mind that this is in good lighting.

Also I don't think she has a black mane, like bays are supposed to have.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Looks like bay with a brown phenotype.

Diet can make coats do all sorts of odd things, so the odd tones you are seeing may be related to that as I would not expect a horse in the kill pen to have had ideal nutrition.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Looks like bay with a brown phenotype.

Diet can make coats do all sorts of odd things, so the odd tones you are seeing may be related to that as I would not expect a horse in the kill pen to have had ideal nutrition.
That is actually a really good point. How long after she was rescued was this pic taken? Do you know?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was taken probably not too long after she was rescued. They haven't had her long.

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yeah, I would say she is definitely mal-nourished in the picture, and her colours are 'muted'. She kinda almost looks like a liver chestnut. Yep. That is what I would call her! A liver chestnut.
This is a pic of a liver chestnut from the web. Not exactly the same, but close.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
She kinda almost looks like a liver chestnut. Yep. That is what I would call her! A liver chestnut.
This is a pic of a liver chestnut from the web. Not exactly the same, but close.
View attachment 1105908
Not the same at all.

The horse the OP posted has dark points on the legs and a brown nose - telltale signs of a bay with brown phenotype.

A red horse will have lighter lower legs, especially around the coronary band. The OP horse does not.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Not the same at all.

The horse the OP posted has dark points on the legs and a brown nose - telltale signs of a bay with brown phenotype.

A red horse will have lighter lower legs, especially around the coronary band. The OP horse does not.
Fair point. Sorry. I think you're right.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, here's an update: I was told by my trainer that she's actually a buckskin (dark) that's been darkened because of the winter. She does look like a dark buckskin in person, so that'd make sense. I appreciate everyone's replies!

Reactions: AbbySmith
1 - 11 of 11 Posts