The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What she said interesting, wouldn't think that. She said they had one other like him and turned white with blacks spots. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
I hadn't seen the spots. That would say that he has Lp and Patn1 at play genetically. I am not as familiar with appy gene types but few spot leopard with varnish. Perhaps some of those familiar with those genes will come along.

Still thinking grey as well as several of his spots are only visible by the skin coloration.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Color Change for Miniature Foal?

I tried adding to my original Post. I have Bought a Miniature Foal. Who will change, color out. Father was app solid white with few black spots. Mom I Am not sure is App under her coat but she is Bay looking. Can see in the Photos. First are day born and last ones are today. What color do you guys think he will be? I'm hoping all white some black or gray on nose mane lower leg areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
The mare is probably actually black...fading black. I had a mini mare that exact color and she had 2 foals that were born that exact same shade of steel gray who ended up being fading black just like her. That is going to be your base color.

Your foal looks like it inherited gray from it's sire so will eventually turn gray. I do not know how appaloosa patterns affect gray but from those goggles it looks to me like it might accelerate it.

Spots are still to be determined. You may not know for sure until the foal grays out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An appy isn't a grey. But foal has grey goggles, doesn't it? So where did the grey come from?
I'm guessing his daddy not sure sense he is white and he had gray gene in him no really sure. Hoping to turn out white. Have intentions on him being a unicorn for my photography. Or a light gray light gray.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts