The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, having some trouble deciding what color my colt is, he's two months old and was just clipped out for the first time so hoping someone with more experience will be able to give me their thoughts. Dam is DNA tested e/e A/a she is a very VERY dark liver chestnut, sire is Black I don't know his genotype but in ~100 foals he has not sired a chestnut even out of chestnut mares which makes me think he is homozygous for black. So based on that foal should have either been black or bay. General consensus at the breeding barn is he is either liver chestnut (moms exact shade) or black, my friends at the barn say bay. He was born with a kinda silvery shade and very silver tail and then has turned very brown as he started to shed out his foal coat. The clipped picture from the photoshoot is best representation of his current color. Any thoughts would be appreciated! (Note: The one proof I am waiting on an invoice from the photographer to purchase them. It is going to be purchased)
Newborn

Couple days old

Starting to shed

Clipped

Photoshoot (2 months) (with mom)
Hair Horse Head Working animal Liver

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
He may be one you need to DNA to know. Black can sun bleach very easily, so that might be what your are seeing, and the first shed of a liver chestnut is the darkest… so he could go either way. I would lean towards black with that foal shed, but he really could go either way with mom being a liver chestnut and dad being black. So send out hair!!!

He is lovely! How is he bred?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He may be one you need to DNA to know. Black can sun bleach very easily, so that might be what your are seeing, and the first shed of a liver chestnut is the darkest… so he could go either way. I would lean towards black with that foal shed, but he really could go either way with mom being a liver chestnut and dad being black. So send out hair!!!

He is lovely! How is he bred?
Thats what I was kind of thinking, I will have to snag some next time I get out there. Thank you! He is a half Arab out of my Western pleasure Khadraj bred mare and by a son of Sundance Kid V- so very western!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Ooh. That cross is great. I have known some really nice ones. I always kicked myself for not breeding to Sundance V when I had the chance, but I never had a mare that I thought would cross just right with him.

·
Registered
50,781 Posts
He is so handsome!!! he's half arab, half ? Sorry I missed that
I dont know color genetics, so just an admirer here. I've never heard of cllipping a colt so young. was it hard to do? (squirrely much?)

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if he was the same color as his gorgeous mama?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is so handsome!!! he's half arab, half ? Sorry I missed that
I dont know color genetics, so just an admirer here. I've never heard of cllipping a colt so young. was it hard to do? (squirrely much?)
Thank you! Hes called Half Arab for registry purposes, hes really something like 15/16 arabian 1/16 saddlebred through his mom :) Hes been handled daily since birth and is a really smart little guy, so they didnt have too much trouble!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.