The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my Paint/Quarter gelding, Lou. What color would you consider him? I've been told Red Roan overo, Palomino overo, Sorrel overo, the list goes on. In the summer he lightens up quite a bit. In winter he is dark. But either way, he has white hairs intermingled throughout his coat. Many people ask what color he is and I can't give them a solid answer lol. What do you think? (Also, what color Pro Choice Elite boots would look best on him? Lime? Turquoise? < Having a hard time deciding!) Thank y'all!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I would venture that he is a chestnut with flaxen with the moderate sabino gene causing the xtra white.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm no guru on colors, but I vote Turquoise boots!

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Chestnut with flaxen , sabino, and probably frame.

Flaxen is causing the lighter colored mane & tail. This is likely why some people mistake him for a palomino, but to be a palomino he'd need to have the cream gene which would make his body color much lighter. He'd also have to have a parent that carried the cream gene (palomino, buckskin, cremello, etc.) for this to even be a possibility (not sure if he does or not- just pointing it out)

Sabino and frame are causing the white pattern. Sabino causes the jagged white and "roan" (which is not the same as true roan). Frame causes the white to move in a horizontal fashion, which you see most obviously on his neck. The APHA lumps all of the non-tobiano white patterns into the term "overo" so calling him a chestnut (or sorrel) overo is a simple way of describing him, but not very precise. As a gelding, it's not as important, but for breeding horses it's very important to distinguish frame from the rest of the overo patterns because it is the cause of Lethal White Overo.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Flaxen chestnut not a palomino. I kinda wonder about DW instead of sabino.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would call his color "beautiful!"

I agree with the others that he's flaxen chestnut with frame overo and sabino. I also think turquoise boots would be the right choice. I use turquoise on my Haflinger (also a flaxen chestnut, of fairly similar shade) and it looks awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.