The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our colt Rizer is having a bit of a color controversy. You see, we no longer trust 99% of the miniature breeders as color goes, and I can't make up my mind on him either. He looks bay - but he has too much dun factor!

His Sire (who has dun on the bottom side and buckskin up top):

Rizer - you can easily see the leg barring, dorsal stripe, his ears are tipped - he basically looks just like daddy. Has the smutty look, etc. He was out 12 hours a day this summer, and the dorsal never faded. I've read countershading fades but true dorsal stripes do not - have no idea if this is valid information, it's just interesting. His mother is black.

(i swear to God his legs aren't crooked LOL! I have no idea why they look so freaked out)

I'm just interested to hear some opinions because we've heard different things from everyone and we keep changing our opinions too. Sorry for the gigantor photos, just wanted you to be able to see his color XD

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
* And I do know his sire - he also has a dorsal stripe.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'd say he's just a dark bay dun. Take away the dun factor and he's a dark bay. Add it in and you get a dark bay dun.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL The answers are just as diverse on here so far.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm no expert, but isn't he a "dunskin"? A buckskin with dun factor? The father is for sure, but the colt is very similar the the sire of my QH's, and he's for sure a dunskin. There are some major colour experts on here that could set you straight.
He's amazingly cute and gorgeous, BTW!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks shesinthebarn! He is quite a looker when he's cleaned up - looks like a yak at the moment.

Okay, so Dun is winning XD Any other guesses?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I am going to go with dun also. The leg barring, dorsal stripe, and what looks like dark webbing on his face yell dun to me.Just MHO though,;)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay cool guys, thanks. I'll fill out a color correction form.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Out of curiosity's sake...what was he originally registered as far as color? I agree with the bay dun. It is usually the smutty/smokey duns that are my fav and he is no exception. He's gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
His sire was registered as buckskin... But his sire has a very very thick dorsal stripe. Some idiot who owned his sire at one point changed it to Bay. So, Rizer's been registered as a simple bay by the woman we got him from.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So here's a stupid question since I don't know much about Duns... Would he have a dilute gene?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I think he's a bay.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
He looks more like a Bay Dun than a Buckskin Dun to me. Normally, Buckskin Duns will have a more pronounced "yellow" color to their coat. His looks like it has more red in it. He also looks closer to Dun than just Bay IMO/E. I have a countershaded dark chestnut, and her markings are not nearly as pronounced as his, and she was mis-registered as a dun.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He has a dun dilute gene, if that's what you mean, he doesn't have a cream gene.
Thanks! That answers my question!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Agreed fully on at LEAST dun. The zebra striping in the first pic is a dead giveaway - regardless of how much it may fade a bit at certain points in the year, it's a dun trait and will not be seen on any horse that isn't a dun. The dorsel stripe can be iffy (bays and buckskins can have the stripe) but the zebra stripes are definitive.

As for being a "dunskin" (buckskin X dun), it's impossible to tell. Regardless of how certain dunskins MAY look, you can't call a dunskin golden anymore then you can call a dun or buckskin golden. The shades come in a huge variety, everything from almost white to darn near black, so it's still a possibility.

So he's definately bay dun to me, possibly buckskin dun but that would really require some color testing, as nobody will be able to tell you 100% if he has cream or not without it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We are planning to get him tested for cream, because sometimes he's pretty darn cream looking.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.