The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I know is that this scar was old when I got her last year. Hoof seems to be clubbed as well. Because of it or not, we'll never know. It doesn't affect the hoof wall.
It's not necessary for me to know, so it's a lax curiosity as to what kind of accidents are most likely to cause this.
What are your guesses? =)

Gah! Sorry it's sideways...馃う馃徑

Attachments

Registered
Maybe a wire like getting the foot caught in a fence or some kind of sheet metal cut.

Super Moderator
Resembles scars of horses caught in something and pulled back.
Metal barns make cuts like that as does barb-wire fencing.
Possibly a trailering accident.. horse could of been stepped on by another.
In a field, or walking through a pond where water deep enough bottom was not seen...
Horses are pretty good about where they place their feet...careful to not get caught or entangled usually.
:runninghorse2:...

Registered
If I had pictures of it, I could show you an identical scar on my old mare that had a run in with steel siding that was peeled back off of the barn wall. She almost bled to death from the wound. I would guess that your horse's wound is from something similar.

My current mare has a spiral scar up one of her hind legs, that I would attribute to getting caught in fencing. No one knows what actually happened to her, as her original owner has not yet been found, and I haven't look hard, but I always have figured she was sold originally because of this imperfection. It has a lot of scar tissue built up on her cannon, and it isn't very pretty.

Super Moderator
My first horse had similar and it was from fencing that she had entangled herself in before I owned her. My niece has one that got his from putting his hoof through the side of the metal barn. As ClearDonkey's, he came close to bleeding out.

Registered
I found pictures of my mare from an old post I made on a different account...Unfortunately she passed away over 5 years ago, so this is all I got. If you look at her front left leg, right above the hoof, you can see the scar and all of the scar tissue build up. Apparently there is an artery (or the equivalent, I don't know anatomy) around there, and she tore it open. She was a very, very luck horse to survive the wound.

Attachments

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!
Knowing how she reacts like a nutter in specific situations, I could see any of those as the cause.
She's gone through my woven fencing when separated from others & tried to when terrified once. She panics in the trailer, but was fine twice with me before she remembered her fear of them & now refuses. Go figure. She will barrel kick first, ask herself "is that stupid" later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts