The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For quite a few weekends I haven't done anything more than take care of my horses due to the wretched cold. Considering I just got a new mare that I should be riding, and another one of our mares came back from the trainer, I feel kind of crappy when it is a few weeks without touching them. Today it was a wee bitter outside, but only around 0 fahrenheit which is actually pretty decent. And it was sunny, too!

So today I got out and actually RODE my new mare, Darla. Due to all of the snow I kept to the road, and she did very good. I was so excited to get her out and ride her alone. Last summer I rode out alone all of the time on my mother's mare. I had my own gelding but I just have too many bad memories with him, and he takes advantage of it. So I made the decision to put him up for sale and get a new horse when I saw Darla. I just had this anxious felling that maybe I was making a mistake selling my gelding. After having ridden her today, doing exactly what I want to do, I have faith in her. :D This is my third ride on her.

We took a few mile trek over to our neighbors' place. They have a boarding facility and I usually go and visit them if they are home. I chatted for a while and headed back. We put a few miles on the odometer and some sweat on the saddle pad. I'd say it was a great ride! There were a few spooky moments, but she has never even seen any of the places I had ridden her, so I give her props for not dumping me completely.

Yesterday we got a drive in on the mare we got back from training. I am very proud of how far she has come for us. She still has a few issues driving, and is a bit collar shy, but day by day she is becoming a better horse. She was started driving late, at five years old, which makes a HUGE difference. Horses started lightly at two and three IMO are just harder working and more enduring horses. But Scarlet is learning slowly, and after her second month of training does not give up nearly as easily as she used to. And we do not give up easily either like we used to. There are shaky moments where she will buck or rear, then walk off, and we used to quit. Now we get her through it.

All in all I had a pretty good horsey weekend. Of course we only got two out of ten horses out and working, but I still like to look on the bright side. The fact that the clouds parted long enough to get out there was great.

So... What did you and your horse(s) do this weekend? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Well I rode a horse through the gelding sale in Red Bluff, CA.

He was a stunning, massive palomino by the name of Incandescent Gold (Sonny). He was green but he did very well! And it was an awesome experience, being in the sale ring in the middle of hundreds of people and watching all the classes with incredible horses.

I have pics but I am gonna have to get them off my camera, lol.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Brr! Looks cold ButtInTheDirt, but glad you had a good ride.

Yesterday we did a little arena work. Nothing fancy, just transitions and trot poles.

This morning we did a 10 mile ride, weather was nice and my mare was feeling good!

This morning we also had an, "AH-HA!" moment- I've been trying to get her to side step to make opening/closing a gate on our trail rides easier. Most of the time it's not too great, and we have to go forward, back up, turn around, etc a lot to get me in position to open/close the gate. But today she did a beautiful side step and got a ton of praise for it! :D

Hehe, small things make me happy...

Reactions: ButtInTheDirt

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Well....Not trying to 'one-up' you guys, (haha!) but the extra thing I was able to do with my mares today aside from feed/water/mucking/teeny bit of groundwork due to mass amts. of snow since Oct. was...Brush them down from nose to tail because the sun came out and nobody's coated with ice and snow for once!!! Very impressive, eh? hee hee :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, we kept warm and I cleaned stalls! We got 7+ inches of snow yesterday and got stuck in the drive trying to go to the barn...oh vey.
6 more weeks till spring, 6 more weeks till spring, 6 more weeks till spring...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well, we kept warm and I cleaned stalls! We got 7+ inches of snow yesterday and got stuck in the drive trying to go to the barn...oh vey.
6 more weeks till spring, 6 more weeks till spring, 6 more weeks till spring...
Posted via Mobile Device
I feel bad for yall folks with all this snow. we never get snow. I was cleaning HUGE pens in 75 degree weather Lol don't be jealous :lol:

·
Registered
746 Posts
The weather was really nice here yesterday. Bright and sunny around 65 degrees. We're in a horrible drought so summer will be awful but I'm going to enjoy it for now!

Yesterday my only goal was to practice mounting. I am terrible at it and my horse doesn't like to stand still. He'll be fine until I approach the stirrup and then he's a side stepping sonofabitch. :wink: So yesterday we practiced a lot and he was really good at standing still. Really, really super good. I on the other hand still can't get my fat butt on the horse without the assistance of standing on something else. But I tried for a long time and fell twice. I know I'm not going to get better unless I try but man it's so discouraging! I can't even get my foot into the stirrup from the ground because I'm so short and he is so tall!

Here's Rio after our work yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
It was in the 30's today which is much warmer than it has been. Temps have been consistently in the single digits or below (farenheit) for weeks and the ground has been snow and ice covered. All time at the barn has been spent breaking ice and making sure the horses have water. I finally was able to ride today. Because it was above freezing by a little the snow in the arena was slushy and slippery. We kept our ride short and restricted to walk and trot only, but it went well considering we haven't ridden for a few weeks. After that, my mom, sister, husband and I cleaned as much poop out of the horses' paddocks as we could. Some was still frozen to the ground but we were able to move a good portion of it. I can't wait until spring when we can ride more consistently, don't have to deal with ice and can actually clean up the manure piles on a regular basis!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My only prayer is, even though I want the snow to begone, that the snow melts slowly so we can have a good growing season without being dry, dry, dry at the end of summer. Hopefully another good year of hay! Last year for first crop we got 26 huge round bales among a bunch of idiot cubes. But the daft ****** who bailed our big rounds them got them too early and they were rotten. Pleh.

I am very lucky here that it is not terribly icy. Well, not at the moment anyway. :lol: We haven't had too much of a problem with ice this winter. Mostly because it doesn't get warm enough for their to be any water to freeze into ice. But rumor has it February is going to be colder than January. Not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I went on a mini trail ride. (we are working on our trail experience). It's so flipping rainy/snowy and cold and awful though. My other horse just got back from the trainer and I'm so annoyed because he hasn't been touched in weeks. :/ But I don't feel comfortable on a trail with him yet. He's so very green.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I totally know how you are feeling I have got two new mares I need to work with also but today was warm and got to get on my first mare I got A year ago and worked on our barrel pattern and played around with my sister then played around with one of the new mares... one is doing better than the other..all takes time and effort.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Fun video Brighteyes! I need to get a go-pro cam!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
They're really fun cameras! I have the Hero3 Silver edition. I attach it to me helmet, but I also do a little "camera on a stick" experimentation. You can get some cool angles and "selfies" with it. :wink:

·
Registered
262 Posts
i moved my horses to a new private facility where im the only boarder..which i love...and i rode my gelding today the first time there and he behaved so well in the arena....first time he was relaxed in a large open space...im so proud of him

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
my all outdoor barn is akin to a skating rink these days. we had a huge melt of lots of snow and then it got right cold again, so no riding since last saturday for me :(

so this is what we did this weekend instead. if you can't ride or do decent groundwork, at least you can spoil your pony with some extra treats :) btw, the area Eddie horse is standing in is the ONLY ice free section of ground on the property, so yeah....... riding is on hold til we either get some more snow (nooooo!) to cover the ice, or it all melts away. like gone for good until next winter away. can't wait!

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
I didn't get to do very much but walk mine this weekend. But I did get to work with some of the horses that was rescued friday night. It rained all day today so I got to hang out in the barn with Jake. I've had an exciting weekend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.