The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in this place coming up for two years now and we have spent a lot of time trying to ensure our horses are well cared for and that we have every eventuality but this recent cold snap caused me to think about a couple of changes I'd make. Gates and the barn door got stuck because of the use and snow, will have to make sure I keep that clear in future, I didn't have enough buckets, it's tough to move three horses by yourself. My outdoor waterer would freeze until I put an inspection lamp inside it. All things learnt after the fact. What have you all learned in this recent bout of bad weather?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I want more stalls and runs. We have one huge stall in the barn that four of our horses share witha conjoined run. The other six are out in the back of the barn, which is a huge open part facing south. The light pours in and makes it real nice in there. We recently got a new horse, and while they get along great now, I was worried for a while. I would love to split them up in groups of twos and threes for extra crappy weather. They all huddled in well, but would rather some runs to assure this.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Not a thing, unless you count my experimentation with the solar trough.

In cold or yucky winter conditions I did exactly like I always do; make sure they have free choice hay, water, and check on them several times a day.

If the place was mine I would like to put a little more windbreaks from the SW/S, but as it is they do just fine. They don't love the weather, at least my boy really doesn't, but they bear with it just fine. The pony doesn't seem to care in the slightest. After that first year, winter doesn't bother her at all.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I learned I should have moved 350 miles south instead of 350 miles north when I grew up. But I've known that for years.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Haven't really "learned" anything 'cause we have hard winters quite often here. The only thing I have decided is that having a heated barn would be nice 'cause while my horses don't mind being all shut in at night because their fur keeps them warm, I still find it too cold in there lol. But I think that every winter.

·
Registered
346 Posts
To make sure that the new water heaters work right away when I buy them so that way I dont find out at 2 in the morning doing chores in -70 windchill and have nothing else to keep my horse's water from freezing... lol It was only for one horse in a stall and he had already drank so i wasnt too worried about him- it was just frustrating that it didnt work especially when I needed it most. (and it was supposed to be my spare in case the others stopped working....) Returned it the next day only to find that they were sold out... wonder why? lol They had the same model in stock but it was more expensive because it came with a hefty guard. Tested it right away when I got home- it worked and heated the water last night really well. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.