The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been showjumping almost my entire life. I am doing competitions and such, but right now with the COVID, I can't do any shows anymore. So I am looking for some other discipline I can try out with my horse. I heard my beautiful stud can do a bit of western. I am curious to know what kind of discipline you are doing and why!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Showjumping is so fun, that's what I started out doing, and once I've got the space am hoping to pick up a showjumping prospect so I can compete again. My big girl can jump incredibly well but she's too heavy built for the super tight turns in a jump off.

We like doing a bit of everything tbh, never found a horse sport that wasn't fun. As far as showing goes though my two are both used differently.
I've got a big maxi cob, that I intend to mainly compete in show cob classes, working hunter, dressage and she's also the horse I intend to take drag hunting.
My pony I'm still bringing on, but she'll hopefully be an endurance prospect.

Have always wanted to give western riding ago, especially cutting, when I was a kid I used to dream about being a cowgirl rofl. Not much of it over this area though unfortunately.
Have fun with your stallion!

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
Minor trail riding. Sometimes putz around in an arena. Mostly ride to give my horse some exercise and because I enjoy the company of horses. Started riding at 50. Now in my 60s. Competitive riding never interested me. Prefer a western approach. Often looks like this:

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I think my favorite thing to do is camping with my horse. At home, there is always laundry to do, homework to supervise, dinner to fix, dusting, windows to clean. When camping, it's just you and your horse and you can spend lazy quiet time, extra grooming, long pleasant trail rides, and extra scratches and treats. Also, lots of adventures camping crossing rivers, swimming your horse, jumping stuff you'd never thought of jumping.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think my favorite thing to do is camping with my horse. At home, there is always laundry to do, homework to supervise, dinner to fix, dusting, windows to clean. When camping, it's just you and your horse and you can spend lazy quiet time, extra grooming, long pleasant trail rides, and extra scratches and treats. Also, lots of adventures camping crossing rivers, swimming your horse, jumping stuff you'd never thought of jumping.
That sounds like a dream....!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Trail riding, between 300-400 miles (486-648 km) a year. I like the hours lost in the company of my trail partner, particularly on the less civilized trails. One trots, canters, go up and down hills, cross creeks, jump over fallen trees, and sometimes even the unexpected makes an appearance. Is everything all rolled into one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been showjumping almost my entire life. I am doing competitions and such, but right now with the COVID, I can't do any shows anymore. So I am looking for some other discipline I can try out with my horse. I heard my beautiful stud can do a bit of western. I am curious to know what kind of discipline you are doing and why!
It costs a bit, but I started driving my TB about twenty years ago. I now have two large ponies I drive. They are like little sports cars. I do love camping with my horse, though. I have done a good bit of trail driving. A trainer who taught my TB to drive said it was wonderful for the hindquarters of the horse. She had two small horses she taught to drive but couldn't sell them, so she turned them into jumpers.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
We do English-style equitation and occasional low jumps or crossrails. We do that because I wanted a barn that was close to town but still offered pasture board, and this was the best one I found. And that's what they do.

I'm hoping this summer to do a cattle sorting clinic. My daughter's horse, Moonshine, I think has done it before, and my Pony loves bossing cows around, so I think he'll enjoy it.

·
Banned
8 Posts
I ride western, and I always recommend it! I think its the most relaxing and fun for both horse and rider. (I dont use spurs) The horse doesn't have to collect, gets to be chill and relaxed, and the rider is able to relax as well, and western pleasure has no pressure. It just a good break. And barebacked too!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tallion!
[/QUOTE]
Minor trail riding. Sometimes putz around in an arena. Mostly ride to give my horse some exercise and because I enjoy the company of horses. Started riding at 50. Now in my 60s. Competitive riding never interested me. Prefer a western approach. Often looks like this:

The picture looks relaxing already. Western is (in my mind) completely different than western. But maybe that's a good thing.. Thanks, I will look into trail riding!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ride western, and I always recommend it! I think its the most relaxing and fun for both horse and rider. (I dont use spurs) The horse doesn't have to collect, gets to be chill and relaxed, and the rider is able to relax as well, and western pleasure has no pressure. It just a good break. And barebacked too!
I don't know why, but bareback always scares me a bit. Maybe I should try to get out of my comfortzone,. haha. Thanks anyways :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
I used to love to ride my Angelina bareback. But she’s a “wide-body” model and I slid off her so many times that hubby made me stop😟

·
Registered
508 Posts
try riding bareback on a kind & calm horse. bareback riding is my favourite type of riding! there is no feeling better than galloping bareback on the horse you love.
I remember the first time I rode bareback. I was sixteen and it was on my parents’ friends’ horse; he was a sweetheart but enormous and with very rough gaits! Galloping down the lane, I felt like a real cowgirl!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
My mare and I compete in Reined Cowhorse, Versatility and ranch horse. We also enjoy trail riding, when we get the chance. Cowhorse is not something you can do "casually" - too expensive and the competition has gotten tough. Versatility and Ranch horse are "easier" but competition in those disciplines are also getting tougher. You can check out my journal for pix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts