The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 馃憢 I may be purchasing a Shetland pony sometime in the next months, and I am gathering my research about them as of now 馃檪 So I was wondering what are all of the things I would need for a Shetland Pony? thank you

Registered
Basically the same as any other horse, it's just the size that differs.
Before you get the pony a good safe paddock with feed and water, extra good fencing because they love to escape (at least the ones in my paddock did.

When you get the pony - Halter, bridle, saddle, saddle pad, rugs, grooming gear as a basic set up then whatever equipment is necessary for what you decide to do with them. This is so you know sizing.

Administrator
Depends on whether its going to be a pet or a riding pony - and if you mean a true British Shetland pony they're too small for most people to ride.
You'll need a grooming kit, a halter/headcollar and lead rope, feed and water buckets, something to store feed in and equipment for cleaning out a stable or field shelter.
They're tough, hardy little things so don't need blankets/rugs unless they're clipped but they still need shelter in bad weather.
Be very aware that they're prone to getting overweight which leads to laminitis so ideally need to have some form of restricted grazing.

Registered
Typically, each horse needs a grooming kit, rope halter/lead, bridle, saddle/saddle pad, grain bucket, water bucket and a lightweight rain sheet. Shetlands are hardy, but rain can be irritating in that it can lead to rainrot (also caused by bacteria in the soil). If you aren't planning to use the shetland as a child's pony, the saddle, saddle pad and bridle are unnecessary. I highly recommend training your shetland to drive, however, to give them a job!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.