The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions in the title. What is your money providing job and/or what steps/precautions do you take to make sure you can support your stock?

Also, could you share whether you board or keep your horse in the backyard.

Thanks guys, I'm very interested to hear the answers. :)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
im a lucky ducky because my dad has a farm and he enjoys horses just as much as me, however hes not got as much time for them i also have a part time job working at tescos and im doing a college course and passed for student funding so i tend to pay for the shoes, odd bits and bobs for the horses, the feedings pretty much sorted because we cut our own hay and dad pays for any vet bills

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
My Daddy :) haha im sorta spoiled, my parents pay for everything (well, except the little horse things that i dont actually need but just want, i pay for those) I board my horse, and we compete and stuff. gosh, my parents are good to me.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I work at a dentist office doing odd jobs and I babysit my butt off haha

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Well, currently I'm working a minimum wage job at Subway, probably 30 hours a week. I also picked up 15 hours a week at the barn I board at, which cuts my board down to about 150 dollars a month, versus 425.

Before, I was working a slightly above minimum wage job at 30 hours a week.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Previously my Mom, then I worked at my barn to pay for my horses care and feed, then husband took over the bill, started my photography business last year and now I am able to cover my own bill :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Taxes, bookkeeping, and payrolls. I also keep my horse in somebody else's back yard. Heck of a deal...I take care of the barn and his donkeys in exchange for board.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I am still young. I work for my horses board. Tack is all on me. Only things my parents pay are shoeing and the odd lesson/show. I like the feeling when I pay for my horse it makes him "mine". I think more kids like me should work off there fees... Just my onioin (yes I said onion)
Tasia

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Ever since I was married I have worked a full time job and trained horses on the side to pay for my own horses. The only way I could afford to have horses was to have a way to keep them without it taking money out of my paycheck.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Currently I have no horse, but I am looking. I pay for my lessons from my job in DC. My husband also works in DC and is supportive. When I get my horse, I'll probably work off some of the board.

When I was younger, I paid for my horses by teaching riding lessons and got my lessons by being a working student. Other than paying the initial purchase price, I paid for everything for my horses. I kept my horses at my parent's farm, didn't pay board, but paid for feed, and hay, and mowed grass, painted fences, and did other fun manual labor!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I work full time at a standardbred facility and I agreed to work on my day off to pay the board on my two horses. I also provide my own grain. I'm married with a little one and one more on the way, so I can't afford to take too much money from the family budget. I use sweat equity. For unexpected expenses such as vets, I have an emergency fund and mortality insurance on both horses.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My mom pays for everyone except Cowboy - but she does buy feed and hay. She does pay for the more expensive things, like dental - but as far as trims, chiro, etc. That's me.

As far as tack buying, that goes both ways. I'll buy a lot of working equipment and some show equipment, but if there's something snazzy and showy I really want she'll usually buy it. Not my show shirt though, LOL I kinda bought that behind her back. She was ticked, but it was my money.

Her opinion changed when she saw it in person - it was totally worth $400. It's a lot of money but this shirt is one that I could not stop thinking about, and I debated myself on buying it for 3 weeks. I'd totally buy it all over again too! It was over two paychecks worth.

It's a give and take thing. Otherwise for money, I work at McDonalds and give lessons. I'm going to try and start giving more lessons - I can give three lessons per week and make that same amount of money I make at McD's - at only $25 an hour.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
My horse stays at a relative's place (I pay for everything needed) and I work full time from home as an Admin. I won't get rich anytime soon but it means my girls aren't in daycare and I have a rather flexible schedule. For me it's the best of both worlds, I'm home with my kids but still have a nice paycheck and can squeeze in some free time for myself as well.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I board my horse and work most of it off. My parents pay for the remainder of the board and for the farrier. We try to both pay for show costs. I cover all vet bills, tack, fly spray, etc. I help my dad with his business and have a small tack cleaning business as well. I save all the money I can for an emegency vet fund.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
My Daddy :) haha im sorta spoiled, my parents pay for everything (well, except the little horse things that i dont actually need but just want, i pay for those) I board my horse, and we compete and stuff. gosh, my parents are good to me.
Haha same :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
i have my boy at an agistemt center and i work as an event photographer. it pays the bills and keeps my boy fed =)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.