The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you look for in an Eventer?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  showjumperachel 
#1 ·
When you look at a horse, what screams out eventer for you and what screams out Stay out.

I'm just curious as my horse when I look at him I see eventer, but I wouldn't be able to pin point why.

My friend has just recently gotten another horse and to me he doesn't scream out eventer, he looks to long in the back, and she wants to take this horse up the grades...

But does long backs suggest eventer?
My horse doesn't have a long back, he's quite compact.

What to you is good conformation for an eventer, pics of your horses who you have taken up the grades or are wanting to would be great :)

Or horses you have and you don't think could go up the grades, share those as well and explain why :)

#2 ·
I would want, for an eventer who could go upwards to **, at least three quarters thoroughbred. At least.
Also something with power in the hind end. That's where your dressage, and your jumping come from.
I also like something with a bit of gee up and go. Not something that half way around the dressage arena, it needs a tea break!
I like something with a good 8 or more inches of bone. 8 and a bit is ideal.
I want something that is a trier, and will jump it's heart out for you.
You don't want something that is really heavy on the forehand, say if it has a low set neck. Crap for dressage, and it'll never make the speed out cross country.
You also don't want a draft type horse. It will really tire it's self out, and hit the ground hard.

In terms of conformation, good legs, feet and pasterns are priority. Without those, you have nothing.
I don't mind too much about the withers... As long as you have a saddle to fit. My eventer has knife withers, typical of the TB, but his saddle fits, so it doesn't make a difference to me :)
A good shoulder is a very nice thing to have, particularly in the dressage and cross country phases. In dressage, to get that wow trot and those super movements, and out cross country, so he can extend out really nicely, and make up time.
I also want a high or medium set neck.
Straight movement of course. Dishing will never do :P

In terms of height, you really need something around about 16hh-16.2hh. Any bigger and the horse will trip over itself. (diddly is 16.1hh, and he has great difficulty in not tripping over his own feet!) The bigger the horse, the harder it is to keep it sound as well.
Anything below 16hh, unless it has an effortless gallop, and brilliant scope, will struggle quite a lot with the times and the fence heights out cross country.
Just for fun... My eventer :)

#3 · (Edited)
What I think you need is a good strong pony/horse. Good bone is a must for any horse not just an eventer.

It should be responsive to the aids. A good Hind end and front is another thing to look for for movement and power.

It needs to be able to jump well with a good tuck up in front and let go behind. Movement should be good free supple and must cover good ground and you would want the horse to have good feet and legs as in you wouldn't be worried about them hurting themselves.

You can not pin point a breed to eventing and thoughbreds are not always good for the dressage as they can get excitied easily but this does not speak for all of them.

Now I am not an eventing expert as I am only just going to start doing small ones and producing horses to be eventers but that would be the main points I would cover.

Oh and candycanes for eventing dishing does not effect them because in dressage the judges don't take dishing into account so it dosn't matter. Saying that I would not take a dishing horse either but that is because it would be preference.

Also a well balanced horse does not trip over themselves no matter what height. Many Grand Prix dressage horses can be 17hh and they definatly do not trip. Also it is not true that the bigger the horse the harder to keep sound It's all down to the quality of their feet quality of farrier and quality of care. And also a 15hh 15.2 would have no problem competing it would be a 14.2 or under you would want to have good scope ect for ** eventing but sure if it isn't top quality with scope to burn what is the point in buying it for competing?

I agree with you low set is definatly not a what you would look for but ponies can differ. We had a pony once who had a low set neck but was never heavy in the hand and he did come up in his head carraige after correct schooling.

Oh and redtree I do not think a long back will effect a horse much but do not hold my word for it. Depending on the age of the horse he could grow into it and if not I have seen ponies/horses with long backs that had scope to burn jumping and movement that would blow you away.

I do not have an eventer yet but we are planning to start breaking and producing some eventers. I may do some eventing on my possible buy 15.2 show pony or my future 15.2 show hunter or my future welsh cob :)

#4 ·
Thanks for that.

Could you share a conformation shot if your boy CandyCanes and what heights are you doing with him now?

I've been told my horse has upright/steep/straight shoulders (I can't remember the wording that was used), would that effect him?

He also has a club hoof but I've been told that should not affect him in the slightest, but wanting opinions on this as well.

#7 ·
A straight shoulder would give him less reach in his movement so would not cover as much ground in xcountry and dressage so really it depends on what level of dressage you want to go up to. I can't see your picture because my computer is whacked :(

#9 ·
I have this horse. Had to really work to optimize his canter stride and have kind of optimize time on XC between fences. I doubt he could make time at the higher levels. I have him because he is worth his weight in gold, very curious which helps with presenting him to new fences, and is very smart about where he puts his feet. He had bailed me out of many a bad takeoff spot. I know, if I get into trouble, he will take over and get it done.

#8 ·
I'll try and find one... This is NOT a good confo shot, but he refuses to stand still for pictures! He doesn't actually have the best conformation, and I was looking for something with better conformation, but he has a heart of gold, and has the perfect attitude for eventing... I saw potential, so I bought him ;)

I had to resize it... I was tiny. Then it went blurry *cries*
I am not currently jumping him, as he's only a baby... four years old. I need to work on his flatwork first, But he will (hopefully) do well.... He jumped out of the field a while ago. The fence is a solid metre forty high! So yeh.. A fair height now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.